Windows 8

JTA
Commander

Windows 8

Unread post by JTA »

Any reason to upgrade from 7? I read that the price to upgrade was going to rise at the end of this month. Is it worth the 40 bucks?

Your thoughts/suggestions?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

bannination
Captain

Re: Windows 8

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:Any reason to upgrade from 7? I read that the price to upgrade was going to rise at the end of this month. Is it worth the 40 bucks?

Your thoughts/suggestions?
The interface sucks. It would be great on a tablet, alas these are computers. The "Start Menu" is gone.

They have done some work on faster boot up, security, power management etc.

It's a crap shoot honestly. I have a copy of it that can be installed for 90 days before deactivating itself, but the month would be up before the mail would arrive.

$40.00 isn't bad though...... Honestly I'd consider buying the license even if I wasn't going to use it near term. Full price - no way.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

bannination wrote:
JTA wrote:Any reason to upgrade from 7? I read that the price to upgrade was going to rise at the end of this month. Is it worth ....
The "Start Menu" is gone....
Install Classic Shell.. http://www.classicshell.net.. for a customisable Start Menu..

Makes the migration less painful. .
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I've finished installing Windows 8 into a virtual machine just this moment.

I've had a bit of a preview - I set up two Server 2012 VMs a couple nights ago. Server 2012 uses a stripped-down Windows 8 GUI. Or no GUI at all, if you just want to run lots of servers through PowerShell or remote administration.

Now to play.

Er, now to go to bed.

Dang.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I think I'll just hold off on Windows 8 get a mac since they're more stylish anyway.

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:I think I'll just hold off on Windows 8 get a mac since they're more stylish anyway.

Ah.. yes, one of those apple master race people.

I can't knock it as much as I used to, at least the OSX has a decent foundation. Hardware is still too expensive.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
JTA wrote:I think I'll just hold off on Windows 8 get a mac since they're more stylish anyway.

I can't knock it as much as I used to, at least the OSX has a decent foundation. Hardware is still too expensive.
I think it will do a really good job at accentuating my smugness. I'm not concerned about all that technical hoopla.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I would much prefer an Apple product, if only for the functionality and reliability. But the hardware is exponentially overpriced.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Boatrocker wrote:I would much prefer an Apple product, if only for the functionality and reliability. But the hardware is exponentially overpriced.
If you're looking for functionality and reliability, avoid Apple's desktop systems.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:I would much prefer an Apple product, if only for the functionality and reliability. But the hardware is exponentially overpriced.
If you're looking for functionality and reliability, avoid Apple's desktop systems.
Do Macs still lack the right click button on their mice?

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
bannination wrote:

I think it will do a really good job at accentuating my smugness. I'm not concerned about all that technical hoopla.

If you wish to accentuate your smugness, they make hardware called iphones and ipads. That way everyone in public can see you using them. They might be locked down overpriced pieces of crap, but hey, you'll look like a hipster!

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Do Macs still lack the right click button on their mice?

:clap: :-|| :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
JTA wrote:
bannination wrote:

If you wish to accentuate your smugness, they make hardware called iphones and ipads. That way everyone in public can see you using them. They might be locked down overpriced pieces of crap, but hey, you'll look like a hipster!
I still use a fisher-price cell-phone. Maybe I'm a bit of a Luddite in this regard, but I don't want to always be connected to the internets. I've gone out with a group of people on several occasions only to see most of them staring down at their smart phones texting other people or surfing the internets or something.

Maybe I'll start a trend bycarrying around one these:

Hipsters will crown me king.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I support a lot of PCs purchased in the early to mid 2000s. Windows XP's memory footprint got larger since then, but add $30 worth of RAM and it's like you have a new machine. And it'll run Vista and Windows 7 and Windows 8 and just fine. And virtually all modern apps.

I also own a couple iMacs from the same era. Not the first models, but the later ones with more memory and OS X 10.2. They've been useless for years. They won't run an OS later than 10.2.8, and virtually no apps in the last five years will run on them. Not even a recent web browser.

The same upgrade instructions apply that have always applied for Macs:
1) Disconnect the power cord.
2) Replace the rest.

This is also how you repair a Mac after the warranty runs out.

bannination
Captain

rstrong wrote:I support a lot of PCs purchased in the early to mid 2000s. Windows XP's memory footprint got larger since then, but add $30 worth of RAM and it's like you have a new machine. And it'll run Vista and Windows 7 and Windows 8 and just fine. And virtually all modern apps.

I also own a couple iMacs from the same era. Not the first models, but the later ones with more memory and OS X 10.2. They've been useless for years. They won't run an OS later than 10.2.8, and virtually no apps in the last five years will run on them. Not even a recent web browser.

2) Replace the rest.

You can't be much of a hipster without throwing out a Mac every year for the latest model.

It's too bad really, if Apple wouldn't be so hardcore about locking their software to their hardware they'd have a decent chance of taking a slice out of Microsoft.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
rstrong wrote:I support a lot of PCs purchased in the early to mid 2000s. Windows XP's memory footprint got larger since then, but add $30 worth of RAM and it's like you have a new machine. And it'll run Vista and Windows 7 and Windows 8 and just fine. And virtually all modern apps.

2) Replace the rest.

You can't be much of a hipster without throwing out a Mac every year for the latest model.

It's too bad really, if Apple wouldn't be so hardcore about locking their software to their hardware they'd have a decent chance of taking a slice out of Microsoft.
That's how they keep the viruses out of them.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:That's how they keep the viruses out of them.
Other than the viruses that have been hitting the Mac platform lately.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
That's probably just user error. Mac's don't get viruses.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Other than the viruses they've been getting lately.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Other than the viruses they've been getting lately.
At least Macs only get infected with the hip and edgy viruses. Can't say the same about conformist PCs.