Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Immigration

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:27 pm
What's to stop other nations from issuing blanket bans on US visitors given our rotten Covid vaccination rate?
Nothing, but would you want to go somewhere that would do that? If a country says, for whatever reason, "no Americans", I'm not going. Americans aren't that popular everywhere.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:49 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:27 pm
When training or working with activists I strongly discouraged faking injuries. IMO doing so leads to disbelief among LEOs when later injuries are real. I could see checking vaccine status at the border and other Rxs (yours are very expensive), but object to automatically tolling a bell and shouting, "Unclean, unclean!" as being a misuse of Title 42. Idk about Covid, but many Latin nations have BETTER vaccine compliance than the US. What's to stop other nations from issuing blanket bans on US visitors given our rotten Covid vaccination rate?
Nothing, but would you want to go somewhere that would do that? If a country says, for whatever reason, "no Americans", I'm not going. Americans aren't that popular everywhere.
In theory, I could imagine wanting to visit many countries that banned Americans. If they did so because of our rotten Covid vaccination rate I'd respect them that much more, whether or not they were otherwise desirable places to travel to.

Anyhow, my point is that it's hypocritical for vax-sketchy America to be using disease law as an immigration control measure. We need to stop being so sleazy and just pass the laws and/or apply the regs necessary to achieve immigration policy directly, along with helping Latin America address the causes of the immigration boom.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah, but the whole thing is like a giant shit pie on fire that nobody wants to mess with. On top of that, the root causes of this will take decades to fix, assuming they can admit what the causes are.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:22 pm
Yeah, but the whole thing is like a giant shit pie on fire that nobody wants to mess with. On top of that, the root causes of this will take decades to fix, assuming they can admit what the causes are.
Can you say exploitation of the people in CA and SA starting in about 1906 and continuing through today?

We and we alone caused the immigration crisis. Things have a way of coming back.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:39 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Can you say exploitation of the people in CA and SA starting in about 1906 and continuing through today?

We and we alone caused the immigration crisis. Things have a way of coming back.
Yeah, we have a long and sordid history down there. I think the greatest harm has been because of our support for the "war on drugs" in which we provided local police with weapons and other equipment.....this started back in the 70's and over the decades has resulted in dozens or hundreds of corrupt police organizations who terrorize the populations to the point that they flee their own country. And we act like we can't understand why this is happening.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Some severe damage from the Hater in Chief lingers:
White House Still Trying To Reunite 1,000 Kids Separated Under Trump’s Border Policy
The Biden administration has reunited more than 600 migrant children with their families.

The Biden administration has reunited more than 600 migrant children with their families after thousands of kids were separated under President Donald Trump’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy at the southern U.S. border.
:clap: GoJoeGo.
The Department of Homeland Security said Thursday that nearly 1,000 children still need to be reunited with their relatives, the second anniversary of the task force created to help with the reunifications. Many of those kids are Central American migrants who were separated from their parents at the border and placed in detention centers. The effort was part of the Trump administration’s hardline approach to immigration, meant to deter millions of migrants from seeking asylum in the U.S. during his tenure in the White House.

The policy was lambasted as cruel and inhumane by critics, and it has taken years for government officials to reconnect relatives and their young children.
:cry:
“We understand that our critical work is not finished,” DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said in a statement. “We remain steadfast in our commitment to fulfill President Biden’s pledge to reunify all children who were separated from their families under the ‘zero-tolerance’ policy to the greatest extent possible, and we continue to work diligently to incorporate the foundational principle of family unity in our policies and operations.”

GoAlejandroGo.
The agency added that the number of new families that need support continues to grow as they come forward and identify themselves as separated.

President Joe Biden launched a task force shortly after he took office in 2021 to reunite families, but the effort has been difficult. Officials said the Trump administration’s information about separated families “was patchwork at best” and “pieced together from segmented documentation.”

About 4,000 children were identified who were separated from their families, and just under 3,000 of those have been reunited (many of whom were reunited before Biden took office). Now, 148 children are in the process of reunification and 183 families have been contacted to be reconnected with their kids.

“We have made significant progress toward reunifying families and providing them with necessary services and support,” DHS said Thursday. “This critical work will continue until all separated families that can be found have been provided the opportunity to reunify.”
FU, Dolt .45.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Be scared, be very scared or the Mexicans will get you

Or they might sell you drugs.

"Spring breakers gather near Mexico border seemingly oblivious to crime threat"
Fox Newsie "Digital spoke with some of the vacationing college students in South Padre Island, Texas, which ranks as the fourth-most popular spring break destination after Cancun, Miami Beach and Jamaica, according to U.S"

But they had a hard time convincing anyone of a racist problem.

"Nicole from McAllen, Texas, told Fox News Digital that she doesn’t currently plan to visit Mexico but that she does go over the border from time to time to get cheaper products, saying it’s "just business."
They’re doing what they got to do – got to sell, promote – they got cheaper stuff on that side," she said."

Someone "examining drugs bought at pharmacies and finding counterfeit pills that contained fentanyl, heroin or methamphetamines"

What will our children do?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/spring-break ... s-warnings
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It would seem that the biggest part of the immigration problem isn't the straight-up "illegals" but the asylum-seekers. Clearly, the Title 42 time had a positive effect, even without curing the problem. I don't personally object to continuation of a similar permanent law. What's wrong with saying "OK, so you say you're eligible for asylum, here-fill out these forms, get your mug shot taken and fingerprints done, provide us with some contact information, and we'll notify you when your hearing is scheduled. Now go somewhere else." Or what's wrong with saying "we're sorry you were persecuted and in danger in Berserkistan, but you're not there anymore - you're in Mexico or somewhere. Why should we let you into the US?"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 11:54 am
It would seem that the biggest part of the immigration problem isn't the straight-up "illegals" but the asylum-seekers. Clearly, the Title 42 time had a positive effect, even without curing the problem. I don't personally object to continuation of a similar permanent law. What's wrong with saying "OK, so you say you're eligible for asylum, here-fill out these forms, get your mug shot taken and fingerprints done, provide us with some contact information, and we'll notify you when your hearing is scheduled. Now go somewhere else." Or what's wrong with saying "we're sorry you were persecuted and in danger in Berserkistan, but you're not there anymore - you're in Mexico or somewhere. Why should we let you into the US?"
From O Really's lips . . . The House GQP just today passed an enforcement-heavy bill that does that. Won't surprise me if there's also hateful ugliness in their bill, but -0-? . Dems are pointing out that there are 20 million displaced persons in the western hemisphere while saying that we need comprehensive immigration reform and that the GQP bill is DOA in the Senate.

In other words, SSDD.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The Repuq's bill has more wall and trumpian provisions, none of which made or would make a difference. Sure, hire more border enforcement and give them plenty of tech resources. But unless we quit being Big Rock Candy Mountain, it's not going to matter.

Local news is all about the border tonight. Count down to end of section 42, lots of pics of people piled up along the fence. 42 ends at 9pm local, so we'll see what happens.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 8:59 pm
The Repuq's bill has more wall and trumpian provisions, none of which made or would make a difference. Sure, hire more border enforcement and give them plenty of tech resources. But unless we quit being Big Rock Candy Mountain, it's not going to matter.

Local news is all about the border tonight. Count down to end of section 42, lots of pics of people piled up along the fence. 42 ends at 9pm local, so we'll see what happens.
It sounds like the post-42 rush did not match that dire predictions. Idk why.
8-year-old girl sought medical help 3 times on day she died, US immigration officials say

An 8-year-old girl who died last week in Border Patrol custody was seen at least three separate times by medical personnel on the day of her death — complaining of vomiting, a stomachache and later suffering what appeared to be a seizure — before she was taken to a hospital, U.S. immigration officials said Sunday.

The girl’s mother had previously told The Associated Press that agents had repeatedly ignored her pleas to hospitalize her medically fragile daughter, who had a history of heart problems and sickle cell anemia. Anadith Tanay Reyes Alvarez, whose parents are Honduran, was born in Panama with congenital heart disease....
:cry: Bastards, lock someone up!
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I liked this article I came across this morning...if trump finished his border wall like he claims, how are so many migrants still crossing? Just more evidence of how full of shit trump is.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 49be148500

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:18 am
I liked this article I came across this morning...if trump finished his border wall like he claims, how are so many migrants still crossing? Just more evidence of how full of shit trump is.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/ ... 49be148500
And how full of shit GQP sycophants, cowards and apologists are.
... “I did finish the wall. I built a wall,” Trump said.
:roll: Pants on fire.
... “I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively,” Trump said in in his announcement speech. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”
Opps. Mark those words with a big red FAIL.
... By the end of his four years in office, Trump delivered all of 52 miles of new fence where no barrier had previously existed — a far cry from his original promise of a “big beautiful wall” along the entirely of the 1,954-mile southern border. An additional 400 miles of older, existing barrier was replaced with the new, taller steel bollard fencing — just as old barrier had been replaced over the previous two presidencies.

“Not only couldn’t he get Mexico to pay for it, he couldn’t get a Republican Congress to pay for it,” said Rick Tyler, a former top aide in Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’s 2016 bid for the GOP nomination....

The only candidate or likely candidate to attack Trump on the wall appears to be former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. “More nonsense from Donald Trump last night,” Christie wrote in a social media post the morning after the CNN town hall. “Fact: He promised to build a big beautiful wall on the border. Fact: He did not deliver & immigrants are pouring over the border. Fact: He said Mexico would pay for it. Fact: We have not gotten one peso yet. He failed us on immigration.” ...
:---P :---P

Meanwhile, this is interesting. I wondered how Joe/Merrick could unilaterally rewrite asylum law. They can't, at least according to an Obama-appointed (irony) judge:

Federal judge blocks Biden administration’s restrictive asylum rule
Immigrant rights groups applaud decision while justice department says it would seek to prevent ruling from taking effect

Judge Jon S. Tigar of California’s northern federal district
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
We don't even start to fix things as long as the hateful, bigoted RepuQs lie and lie about border issues and protection.

Katie Porter Tears Down VILE Republican Stunt

Rep. Katie Porter (D-CA) slams the GOP for their disgusting efforts to block Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipients from accessing Medicaid. Porter destroys Republican lawmakers for using xenophobic rhetoric to strip away healthcare from DACA recipients and wasting time with this hearing. Porter points out that DACA recipients are lawfully here, work hard and pay their taxes, and they deserve to have access to Medicaid.
:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:12 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:39 pm

Yeah, we have a long and sordid history down there. I think the greatest harm has been because of our support for the "war on drugs" in which we provided local police with weapons and other equipment.....this started back in the 70's and over the decades has resulted in dozens or hundreds of corrupt police organizations who terrorize the populations to the point that they flee their own country. And we act like we can't understand why this is happening.
Yep. The "war on drugs" is deliberately a war on non-Whites, here and abroad.

Now, we've got cruel and homicidal bigotry:

Barrels of drinking water for migrants walking through Texas have disappeared

:cry: :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I keep hearing Biden should do more on immigration. I understand wanting to bash Biden or whoever the opposition President is, but isn't there anybody that understands that it's the law regarding accepting asylum seekers that's the problem? Everybody screams about the thousands of people coming in "illegally" but nobody screams to Congress to change the law.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:58 am
I keep hearing Biden should do more on immigration. I understand wanting to bash Biden or whoever the opposition President is, but isn't there anybody that understands that it's the law regarding accepting asylum seekers that's the problem? Everybody screams about the thousands of people coming in "illegally" but nobody screams to Congress to change the law.
They're still waiting on trump to change the Constitution by EO

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:58 am
Why would the RepuQs want a resolution? Their fat cat buddies are served by having a large pool of frightened workers willing to work for submarket pay. Plus, RW politicians love having a perpetual "problem" to stir up Dem-blaming fearmongering and hatred among their White supremacist base. With this double bonus, it's no surprise that no action has been taken despite years of hand-wringing.

This has been the GQP formula since the Reagan reforms.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So Texas, a state stolen from Mexico and which has about 40% Hispanic citizenry, wants to make "illegal immigration" a state offence and enforceable by Texas state goons law officers.

Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that we think this is a good idea. After all, there really are lots of people trying (and being successful) to come across the border down there and the border patrol and related resources are stretched past the limit. You have to wonder, however, if they've really thought his through. F'rinstance, how are they going to know who's "illegal"? Arbitrarily asking to see "papers"? Yeah, probably. Catching them coming in at a place other than a real border crossing? Probably, but the vast bulk of those people aren't trying to sneak it. They come in and wait for the Border Patrol to appear so they can follow the US law (stupid as it is) and request asylum. And they're the responsibility of the feds. But if Texas gets involved and arrests the "illegals', then what are they going to do with them? Put thousands of people in already overcrowded jails? Maybe they could provide a useful service and send the wannabe immigrants back, but that would be illegal according to the (stupid) US law.

So yeah, that's going nowhere. But when did repugs ever think about the logical ramifications of their idiocy?