Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Immigration

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:25 pm
Bit of both I think.

It's a little Reaganish. In my estimation he wasn't a very good President, but he was jolly and likable in office which contributed to his popularity.

Shrub's personality didn't shine to the public while he was in the Whitehouse but he was apparently likable with a good sense of humor and he's showcasing it now with some success.
Plus, he was never terrible on immigration. He tried for compassionate and patriotic reform, but got screwed by the Repug bigots in Congress.

Shrub is on Kimmel tonight. Might be fluff, might be serious.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:36 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Bit of both I think.

It's a little Reaganish. In my estimation he wasn't a very good President, but he was jolly and likable in office which contributed to his popularity.

Shrub's personality didn't shine to the public while he was in the Whitehouse but he was apparently likable with a good sense of humor and he's showcasing it now with some success.
Plus, he was never terrible on immigration. He tried for compassionate and patriotic reform, but got screwed by the Repug bigots in Congress.

Shrub is on Kimmel tonight. Might be fluff, might be serious.
Is he selling a book or something?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ah, thx.

Was wondering what made him crawl out of his hidey hole.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:14 pm
Ah, thx.

Was wondering what made him crawl out of his hidey hole.
De nada. I stumbled on this:
Post-presidency (2009–present): Publications and appearances

... On June 1, 2020 Bush released a statement addressing the police killing of George Floyd and the nationwide reaction and protests following Floyd's death. In the statement, Bush wrote that he and former first lady Laura Bush "are anguished by the brutal suffocation of George Floyd and disturbed by the injustice and fear that suffocate our country". He also elaborated on the racial injustices perpetrated by the police saying, that "it is time for America to examine our tragic failures", adding "Many doubt the justice of our country, and with good reason. Black people see the repeated violation of their rights without an urgent and adequate response from American institutions".

On July 30, 2020 Both George Bush and his wife Laura Bush, along with former Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, attended and spoke at the funeral for civil rights leader and congressman John Lewis at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta. At the service Bush stated in his remarks, "We live in a better and nobler country today because of John Lewis and his abiding faith in the power of God, the power of democracy and in the power of love to lift us all to a higher ground ... The story that began in true isn't ending today, nor is the work." ...
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:53 pm
Bush the Younger will never be seen as a great President or maybe even not the best hammer in the bag, but I think he's got more character than he's been given credit for. Probably if he'd simply picked better, less evil advisers things would have gone better. Or maybe he just looks better after seeing Trump.
Bit of both I think.

I never liked the fucker, always thought he was feloniously stupid, eight years of him convinced me. I just think that now with some hindsight and some honest self appraisal, he's sort of trying to absolve himself in some way. I suppose that's honorable considering the contemporary Republican party slash klan.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm
I never liked the fucker, always thought he was feloniously stupid, eight years of him convinced me. I just think that now with some hindsight and some honest self appraisal, he's sort of trying to absolve himself in some way. I suppose that's honorable considering the contemporary Republican party slash klan.
He'll never reach Carter level, but Shrub's done some decent things post-presidency and he was always more amiable than 45SHOLE. However, if Dolt .45 had not killed 570K Americans one could make a strong case that Shrub did the most damage to the nation and world.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:15 pm
He'll never reach Carter level, but Shrub's done some decent things post-presidency and he was always more amiable than 45SHOLE. However, if Dolt .45 had not killed 570K Americans one could make a strong case that Shrub did the most damage to the nation and world.
Yeah, he's a regular Tasmanian devil of a guy. He tries to deny it by painting mundane scenes of life as he's never known it while naked in a fucking bathtub. If I ever see him on the street, I'll give him a vicious backhand slap and tell him it's from me and you.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:35 pm
Yeah, he's a regular Tasmanian devil of a guy. He tries to deny it by painting mundane scenes of life as he's never known it while naked in a fucking bathtub. If I ever see him on the street, I'll give him a vicious backhand slap and tell him it's from me and you.
I appreciate the vicious backhand slap, but I would have been fine without the fucking image of Shrub naked in a fucking bathtub. :problem:

Arizona sheriff's immigration patrols to cost public $200M

The costs to taxpayers from a racial profiling lawsuit stemming from former Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s immigration patrols in metro Phoenix a decade ago are expected to reach $202 million by summer 2022....
The phrase "fiscally responsible GOP" is a joke. It sucks that the Dem Latinx Maricopa County taxpayer will have to pay as much as bigoted Repug non-Hispanic White taxpayers.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Lawsuit: ICE detained US citizen for a week in Tacoma

A naturalized U.S. citizen from Mexico is suing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, saying the agency held him in detention for a week even though he had his passport with him and repeatedly insisted he was an American....
Bastards. Charge them, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

He Saved 31 People at Sea. Then Got a 142-Year Prison Sentence.

When Hanad Abdi Mohammad grabbed the wheel of a foundering smuggling boat off the Aegean island of Lesbos in December, he said he was scared but determined to save himself and the other 33 people on board.

Six months later, Mohammad, 28, from Somalia, is in a prison on the Greek island of Chios after receiving a 142-year sentence for human smuggling.

“I still have nightmares about that night,” Mohammad said in comments relayed by his lawyers from prison, describing the fateful crossing from Turkey, in which two passengers died. But he said he had no regrets. “If I hadn’t done it, we’d all be dead.”

A copy of the ruling from the Lesbos criminal court, dated May 13 and seen by The New York Times, said Mohammad had been sentenced to a total of 142 years and 10 days in prison for illegally smuggling migrants into Greece. But it added that he would serve a total of 20 years, the maximum allowed under Greece’s criminal code.

Mohammad is one of several asylum-seekers in recent months to have received long prison terms for trafficking or facilitating illegal entry despite arguing that they were just seeking safety, according to human rights groups. The groups have identified dozens of such cases over the past few years, although it is difficult to arrive at an exact number....
:wtf: :x :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Sounds like the Greek law is similar to the US.

"Federal law makes it a crime to help bring someone into the United States who is not a U.S. citizen. The law contains two very broad provisions on this matter, with the result that the alien smuggler can face punishment regardless of whether he or she was acting for profit or not, or to help his or her own family or relations.
The statutes in question come from the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. (I.N.A.), including §§ 274(a)(1)(a) and 274 (a)(2) (also at 8 U.S.C. § 1324)."

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... ences.html

Except that in the US, the court would be more likely referred to as "LGBTQ+"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Migrant's arrest under 'Operation Lone Star' ruled unconstitutional

The arrest of an Ecuadorian migrant under Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's initiative "Operation Lone Star" was ruled unconstitutional by a Texas county judge Thursday.

Some immigration advocates are hopeful the ruling by Travis County Judge Jan Soifer could potentially set a pathway for other migrants arrested under the controversial program....

Guzmán Curipoma's attorneys, Angelica Cogliano and Addy Miró, argued that Operation Lone Star violates the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution which establishes that federal law takes precedence over state laws and therefore prohibits state laws form interfering with immigration enforcement by the federal government. Cogliano told ABC News that her client should have been able to submit a claim for asylum, but was instead arrested and detained for weeks.

The Travis County District Attorney's Office, which represented the state in the hearing, also agreed that Guzmán Curipoma's arrest violated the Constitution.

"After careful consideration, the Travis County District Attorney's Office agreed that Mr. Guzmán Curipoma's prosecution for criminal trespass as part of Operation Lone Star violates the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution and represents an impermissible attempt to intrude on federal immigration policy," said Travis County District Attorney José Garza in a statement. "In addition, DA's office concluded that based on the evidence, there were multiple ways in which the OLS program has failed to satisfy basic, fundamental, and procedural state and federal constitutional safeguards."
:lol: Even the prosecutor.
... Human rights organizations and the ACLU of Texas have called on the Department of Justice to investigate the program which they say sets up an alternative immigration system, one where migrants are arrested for faulty charges and detained for months without being given the chance to apply for asylum or seek representation. In December 2021, the ACLU of Texas and other civil rights groups filed a complaint with the DOJ and cited cases where migrants were allegedly lured onto private property by law enforcement agents so they could be arrested on trespassing charges....
Asshole pigs.

:---P :obscene-birdiered: Gov. Abbott and Attorney General Paxton.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:25 pm
Sounds like the Greek law is similar to the US.

"Federal law makes it a crime to help bring someone into the United States who is not a U.S. citizen. The law contains two very broad provisions on this matter, with the result that the alien smuggler can face punishment regardless of whether he or she was acting for profit or not, or to help his or her own family or relations.
The statutes in question come from the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act. (I.N.A.), including §§ 274(a)(1)(a) and 274 (a)(2) (also at 8 U.S.C. § 1324)."

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... ences.html

Except that in the US, the court would be more likely referred to as "LGBTQ+"
Why "LGBTQ+" ? What does sexual preference have to do with immigration, other than perhaps resulting in a greater likelihood of being barred from entry? Or is there something in the LGBTQ+ that has relevance to a court?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:53 pm
O Really wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:25 pm
... Except that in the US, the court would be more likely referred to as "LGBTQ+"
Why "LGBTQ+" ? What does sexual preference have to do with immigration, other than perhaps resulting in a greater likelihood of being barred from entry? Or is there something in the LGBTQ+ that has relevance to a court?
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:08 pm
He Saved 31 People at Sea. Then Got a 142-Year Prison Sentence.

When Hanad Abdi Mohammad grabbed the wheel of a foundering smuggling boat off the Aegean island of Lesbos in December, he said he was scared but determined to save himself and the other 33 people on board.

Six months later, Mohammad, 28, from Somalia, is in a prison on the Greek island of Chios after receiving a 142-year sentence for human smuggling.

“I still have nightmares about that night,” Mohammad said in comments relayed by his lawyers from prison, describing the fateful crossing from Turkey, in which two passengers died. But he said he had no regrets. “If I hadn’t done it, we’d all be dead.”

A copy of the ruling from the Lesbos criminal court, dated May 13 and seen by The New York Times, said Mohammad had been sentenced to a total of 142 years and 10 days in prison for illegally smuggling migrants into Greece. But it added that he would serve a total of 20 years, the maximum allowed under Greece’s criminal code.

Mohammad is one of several asylum-seekers in recent months to have received long prison terms for trafficking or facilitating illegal entry despite arguing that they were just seeking safety, according to human rights groups. The groups have identified dozens of such cases over the past few years, although it is difficult to arrive at an exact number....
:wtf: :x :angry-banghead:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:

Is being gay a choice?

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:18 pm
Ulysses wrote:

Is being gay a choice?
Didn't intend to imply that it is, although it may be a preference for those who consider themselves "bi", the B in LGBTQ+. "Sexual identity", then, if that is more appropriate, and ruffles fewer feathers.

M'kay?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Wouldn't have thought I'd have to explain my little joke.
Lesbos is widely known as the home of the ancient Greek poet Sappho, from whose association with homosexuality the word lesbian derives its modern meaning.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:31 pm
Lesbos is widely known as the home of the ancient Greek poet Sappho, from whose association with homosexuality the word lesbian derives its modern meaning.
The island of Lesbos is not mentioned in your post or linked article. Just because it's Greece doesn't necessarily mean the island of Lesbos. After all, there are over 220 Greek islands.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:05 am
O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:31 pm
The island of Lesbos is not mentioned in your post or linked article. Just because it's Greece doesn't necessarily mean the island of Lesbos. After all, there are over 220 Greek islands.
I bet they all have different names, too.