Immigration

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Immigration

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Came across this Native American Tribal Map and thought it was pretty cool. Since we're all immigrants, and bring drugs, crime, disease, and general mayhem wherever we go, it's good to see whose land we're committing all this mayhem on.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tribal-map-a ... 00342.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm
Came across this Native American Tribal Map and thought it was pretty cool. Since we're all immigrants, and bring drugs, crime, disease, and general mayhem wherever we go, it's good to see whose land we're committing all this mayhem on.
Excellent, thanks. Here's the actual map:
https://native-land.ca/

The map would be a little more user friendly if it showed current state boundaries, but maybe that was an intentional rejection of cultural imperialism. However, you can enter a modern town in the search feature and it will zoom in on the locale and show the tribe/s in the legend.

I've lived at the homes of:
Nacotchtank (Anacostan) and Piscataway
Ktunaxa - never heard the name before :(
Salish Kootenai (Flathead)
Blackfoot and Salish Kootenai (Flathead)
Ohlone (Costanoan), Ramaytush - never heard the name before :(
Ohlone (Costanoan), Chochenyo - never heard the name before :(
Cherokee, East and Catawba

And for shorter periods:
Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara; Blackfoot; Métis; Crow; Assiniboine; Cheyenne; Sioux.
Arapaho; Cheyenne; Ute; Sioux.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:10 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm
Excellent, thanks. Here's the actual map:
https://native-land.ca/

The map would be a little more user friendly if it showed current state boundaries, but maybe that was an intentional rejection of cultural imperialism. However, you can enter a modern town in the search feature and it will zoom in on the locale and show the tribe/s in the legend.

I've lived at the homes of:
Nacotchtank (Anacostan) and Piscataway
Ktunaxa - never heard the name before :(
Salish Kootenai (Flathead)
Blackfoot and Salish Kootenai (Flathead)
Ohlone (Costanoan), Ramaytush - never heard the name before :(
Ohlone (Costanoan), Chochenyo - never heard the name before :(
Cherokee, East and Catawba

And for shorter periods:
Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara; Blackfoot; Métis; Crow; Assiniboine; Cheyenne; Sioux.
Arapaho; Cheyenne; Ute; Sioux.
I once worked at the Brevard, NC post office for about six months; a lot of the high dollar neighborhoods there have streets with Indian names. That made it hard (for me) to sort the mail to the correct route. A lot of the street names would start with TS or UG and they were quite similar to me. But at the time, I sort of smiled to myself that those names were around a lot longer than the town has been. So I guess hats off to the surveyor who came up with all those names. And by the way, if anyone would like to send former Congressman Charles Taylor a note in the mail, his address is PO Box 66 Brevard, NC. I forget his zip code but I know it's better to have no zip code than the wrong one. 66 is where he gets his personal mail, or it was at that time and had been for many years. Hell, I don't know if the shithead is still alive. Send him a note and tell him I recommended it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm
... And by the way, if anyone would like to send former Congressman Charles Taylor a note in the mail, his address is PO Box 66 Brevard, NC. I forget his zip code but I know it's better to have no zip code than the wrong one. 66 is where he gets his personal mail, or it was at that time and had been for many years. Hell, I don't know if the shithead is still alive. Send him a note and tell him I recommended it.
Brevard, North Carolina, 28712, was Cherokee, East.

"Chainsaw" Charley Taylor is still alive, 78.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Taylor
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:22 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 pm
... And by the way, if anyone would like to send former Congressman Charles Taylor a note in the mail, his address is PO Box 66 Brevard, NC. I forget his zip code but I know it's better to have no zip code than the wrong one. 66 is where he gets his personal mail, or it was at that time and had been for many years. Hell, I don't know if the shithead is still alive. Send him a note and tell him I recommended it.
Brevard, North Carolina, 28712, was Cherokee, East.

"Chainsaw" Charley Taylor is still alive, 78.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_H._Taylor
Yes, 28712. I can see it now. That may have been the code on the cypher lock on the back door of the post office. I was always the first one there. And go go go Charlie Taylor; live it up you corrupt bastard because your time is short and may even be in a deficit condition. If he's still alive in January next year I may send him a birthday card wishing him a sudden death.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Anyone still wonder if America has become no different from the banana republic/dictator-run places in the world? UK couple, with baby and relatives, on vacation, crossing US border from Canada at a not border point. Their excursion, starting in October, is still a nightmare, getting shipped off to a "retention" center in Pennsylvania and (probably next) getting accused of being a "spy" for somebody. Yeah, I know - there are parts of the story that are fuzzy, and who knows the whole truth, but still..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5321656

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 pm
Anyone still wonder if America has become no different from the banana republic/dictator-run places in the world? UK couple, with baby and relatives, on vacation, crossing US border from Canada at a not border point. Their excursion, starting in October, is still a nightmare, getting shipped off to a "retention" center in Pennsylvania and (probably next) getting accused of being a "spy" for somebody. Yeah, I know - there are parts of the story that are fuzzy, and who knows the whole truth, but still..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5321656
Sounds like not entirely America's fault:
Customs and Border Protection officials say they tried to return the group to Canada, but they were refused re-entry. After two unsuccessful attempts to contact the U.K. Consulate, the family members were turned over to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
After that, though - Pennsylvania?!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Why not take their passports, let them check into a hotel and have their stuff sent from wherever they were in Canada, spend a couple of days making sure they are who they say they are, and supervise their departure on a plane from Seattle to Heathrow? Sounds a lot like this story about hikers accidentally crossing into Iran... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%8 ... rs_by_Iran

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:35 pm
Why not take their passports, let them check into a hotel and have their stuff sent from wherever they were in Canada, spend a couple of days making sure they are who they say they are, and supervise their departure on a plane from Seattle to Heathrow? Sounds a lot like this story about hikers accidentally crossing into Iran... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%8 ... rs_by_Iran
Sounds like CBP tried to do the intelligent and cost effective thing, but ICE sucks. It's probably always sucked, but 45SHOLE removed all external restraints.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well before they were ICE they were INS, who wasn't known for being particularly nice people, but even in Florida I don't recall so many horror stories as we get now. Might be better publicity now; might be, as you say, fewer restraints - who knows. It is interesting that INS was the "Immigration and Naturalization Service" while ICE is "Immigration and Customs Enforcement." Intentionally or not, the "service" part is gone as well as any consideration of those on the path to citizenship.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:18 am
Well before they were ICE they were INS, who wasn't known for being particularly nice people, but even in Florida I don't recall so many horror stories as we get now. Might be better publicity now; might be, as you say, fewer restraints - who knows. It is interesting that INS was the "Immigration and Naturalization Service" while ICE is "Immigration and Customs Enforcement." Intentionally or not, the "service" part is gone as well as any consideration of those on the path to citizenship.
U.S. deports British family that claimed accidental entry into U.S. from Canada

2 weeks at who knows how much cost. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to GitHub CEO Nat Friedman and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella:

"Stop being complicit in human rights abuses. Sever financial ties with ICE."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:11 am
👍👍
:lol: :---P

Tell Congress: Safety net for all

California is showing the country a better alternative to Trump's hateful race baiting. Thanks to a new law, people under age 25, no matter their immigration status, will be able to go see a doctor through the state's Medicaid program.

In a just society, health care would already be available for everyone, but that's not what Donald Trump wants. Today, millions of immigrants pay taxes but cannot access government services, either because they are not eligible or because they fear seeking benefits will put them on ICE's radar.

Progressives can't be afraid of this fight. Denying public benefits only punishes populations already under attack, and it has to stop. Every human being living in our society deserves respect, dignity and compassion – and that means no one should be denied the services and benefits they need simply because of their immigration status....
They don't mention what I believe is the most compelling argument - Communicable diseases don't check citizenship status. It is in the interest of Americans and healthcare budgets that everyone within our borders be as healthy as possible.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:56 pm
... Continuing on the theme of Repugs trying to repress effective protest:
Felony Trial of No More Deaths Volunteer Scott Warren Ends in Mistrial

... Eight jurors believed Warren was innocent on all counts. Four believed he was guilty....
:---P
Scott Warren of No More Deaths Faces Retrial for Providing Humanitarian Aid to Migrants in Arizona

Federal prosecutors announced Tuesday they will retry humanitarian aid volunteer and immigration rights activist Scott Warren on two charges related to aiding migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border. This comes just a few weeks after a jury refused to convict Warren for providing water, food, clean clothes and beds to two undocumented migrants crossing the Sonoran Desert in southern Arizona....
Seriously? :obscene-birdiered:
Not guilty: Jurors acquit border aid volunteer Scott Warren on harboring charges

:clap: :!: :---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

To: The U.S. House and U.S. Senate

I support citizenship for undocumented farmworkers. Congress must pass the Workforce Modernization Act of 2019 and recognize the important contributions of farmworkers to our nation's food and agriculture systems by enabling farmworkers and their immediate family members to obtain a lawful immigration status and a pathway to citizenship.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Honduran construction worker warned his supervisors about the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans. After it collapsed, he was deported.

Ramirez Palma attempted to save AMERICAN lives, risking his job. Most Americans don’t get that opportunity, and fewer still rise to the challenge.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement is a corrupt, rogue, unpatriotic agency.
1312. ETTD.