The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

:shock: Check out this ten year old girl gettin' down with her funky bass playing.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/10- ... 03459.html

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:11 am
:shock: Check out this ten year old girl gettin' down with her funky bass playing.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/10- ... 03459.html
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Knorkrator - Germany's most band in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knorkator
Knorkator is a German band from Berlin that combines heavy metal with comical elements. They proclaim themselves to be "Germany's most band in the world" (German: Deutschlands meiste Band der Welt), as the title "The best band in the world" was already taken by Die Ärzte
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:02 am
Knorkrator - Germany's most band in the world.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knorkator
Knorkator is a German band from Berlin that combines heavy metal with comical elements. They proclaim themselves to be "Germany's most band in the world" (German: Deutschlands meiste Band der Welt), as the title "The best band in the world" was already taken by Die Ärzte
Catchy. :lol: The CC auto-translate to English "mostly" threw in the towel.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:23 pm

It's very, very good.
How could it not be?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's very, very good.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/olivia- ... 41355.html
Damn. That almost made me cry.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :happy-cheerleaderkid:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's very, very good.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/olivia- ... 41355.html
:-|| :-||
Some old pipes don't rust.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I have always enjoyed and appreciated "real" things. There's something special about seeing something authentic that - even if it looks the same - can't be replicated by other means. F'rinstance, my mum's home town was York. You can stand in Yorkminster and see the list of Archbishops going back to 300. Yeah, 300. And you can sip your pint in one of the oldest pubs in England - there since the Vikings were. You can stand by the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia and get a way different sensation that you would with any copy. Or go to Independence Hall while you're there and see the room where the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were signed.

So what does all that have to do with music? I've wondered how many members of a band can be replaced and it still be the "same" band. One might think that as long as the person primarily responsible for the band's unique sound is there, then it's still "real." But I've been to an ABBA tribute band concert that you really couldn't tell they weren't original. In other cases the substitution of one or two guys may have even improved. Eagles substituted Timothy B Schmidt for Randy Meisner and didn't miss a beat except for nobody being able to sing "Take it to the limit" properly.
I went to a concert of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, with no mention of "Led Zeppelin" but it was the same.

So if Mike Love owns the rights to "Beach Boys" and there are 5 or six guys you never heard of playing their music (very well, though) and Mike Love who can't really sing much anymore stands there with them, have you really seen the Beach Boys or just an officially endorsed tribute band? On the other hand, if you go to a Willie Nelson concert and none of the songs sound right because Willie can't hit the range anymore, have you really been to a Willie concert? Maybe it doesn't matter, but I think that especially now when it's so easy to imitate anything with technology that originality and "real" is important.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:05 pm

So if Mike Love owns the rights to "Beach Boys" and there are 5 or six guys you never heard of playing their music (very well, though) and Mike Love who can't really sing much anymore stands there with them, have you really seen the Beach Boys or just an officially endorsed tribute band? On the other hand, if you go to a Willie Nelson concert and none of the songs sound right because Willie can't hit the range anymore, have you really been to a Willie concert? Maybe it doesn't matter, but I think that especially now when it's so easy to imitate anything with technology that originality and "real" is important.

It's not a one size fits all.

You're mostly right, but if I had the opportunity to see Elton John on his last tour I would've gone. Granted, he's not the same (as with most aging rockers) but I'm sure I would've felt like I'd seen him not a two bit copy.

What brought this on? Did you see the Beach Boys who really haven't been the Beach Boys in decades?

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:18 pm

It's not a one size fits all.

You're mostly right, but if I had the opportunity to see Elton John on his last tour I would've gone. Granted, he's not the same (as with most aging rockers) but I'm sure I would've felt like I'd seen him not a two bit copy.

What brought this on? Did you see the Beach Boys who really haven't been the Beach Boys in decades?
We did go to Elton John back in November, and if he'd lost a step or so you couldn't tell it.

No, I haven't been to a recent Beach Boys show, but there was an article about them and their upcoming tour - mostly an interview with Love - that prompted the thought.

I know bands change over time - often even with mostly the same members. Look how quickly Beatles changed in just a few years. I just thought there's a point somewhere when a group is no longer authentic. Probably just my trivia rabbit hole for the day while I wait for it to quit raining.

O Really
Admiral

Here's what ChatGPT thinks:
The number of members of a rock band that can be replaced before it is no longer considered the same band is subjective and can vary depending on factors such as the band's history, the importance of certain members, and the level of changes made. In some cases, a band may be able to replace all its members and still be considered the same band, while in others, replacing even one member may be seen as a significant change.

As for the Beach Boys, the band still exists, but its lineup has changed over the years. The group was formed in 1961 and has undergone numerous personnel changes since then. The surviving members of the original lineup, Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and Mike Love, have continued to perform together in recent years, but other former members, such as Carl Wilson and Dennis Wilson, have passed away. So while the current lineup may not include all of the original members, it is still considered the Beach Boys.

O Really
Admiral

The song in the Jesus ad on Super Bowl, and since, is none other than the great Patsy Cline. Beautiful song.

O Really
Admiral

Turns out the Beach Boys were innovative and talented, but apparently not unique. Google "Beach Boys Tribute Band" and you get a bunch - all of whom have mastered the sound and some of whom have been around for long enough to be old themselves.

https://www.google.com/search?q=beach+b ... e&ie=UTF-8

O Really
Admiral

(Moved from "Dumb Headlines" ...continuation of coronation music issue)

Here's more about why groups are declining the coronation invitation or potential invitation. Apparently it's more of a political issue than I originally thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/sn ... c870&ei=41

O Really
Admiral

KISS calling it quits after 50 years.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/ki ... df11&ei=24

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:08 pm
(Moved from "Dumb Headlines" ...continuation of coronation music issue)

Here's more about why groups are declining the coronation invitation or potential invitation. Apparently it's more of a political issue than I originally thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/music/news/sn ... r-AA186q6g
Pedophilia
Racism
Opulence during a stressful time
Elitism
Outdated
Chuck not lovable
Performer image

I can't argue with any of the reasons to stay away. Has anyone asked the Sex Pistols to regroup? They and the world would appreciate the irony.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, I don't think Chuck is a pedophile, but he is certainly not loveable - and hasn't been since the Diana breakup and replacing the most popular royal ever with the somewhat cranky and unattractive "horseface." He's probably no more racist than the average upper crust Brit, and opulence of the royal family is pretty much built into the system. Who wants an impoverished king? But if we're to the point that generic support of the king by performing at the coronation is seen broadly as a negative among the garden variety riff and raff, then the monarchy overall is in way more trouble than we might think.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's the monarchy being shunned by performers, not just Chuck.
O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:07 pm
Well, I don't think Chuck is a pedophile,
Prince Andrew. All of my bullet points are from your link above.
but he is certainly not lovable -
:thumbup:
and hasn't been since the Diana breakup
Chuck was lovable before then?
and replacing the most popular royal ever with the somewhat cranky and unattractive "horseface."
Ouch :naughty: . I THINK Camilla's rep has improved over the years.
He's probably no more racist than the average upper crust Brit,
Low bar. Harry and Meghan have not been clear about who is to blame, but we can infer that at the least Chuck was culpable through inaction. A lot of people believe them, only a loser issue for performers.
and opulence of the royal family is pretty much built into the system. Who wants an impoverished king?
The 98%. Another loser issue for performers.
But if we're to the point that generic support of the king by performing at the coronation is seen broadly as a negative among the garden variety riff and raff, then the monarchy overall is in way more trouble than we might think.
Not more than I think. Only Liz held it together, barely. William and Kate may have a shot, but Chuck has to die soon. :o
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't think banging a 16-17 year old and lying about it meets any standard definition of "pedophile." Nevertheless, turns out about 2/3 of the population overall favours keeping the monarchy, but - but - only 31% of those ages 18-24 want to keep it. Probably a lot of bands' fans in that group. Of course, about 77% of geezers favour the monarchy, so Sir Rod, etc. should be fine.