The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:58 pm
But why the bathrobe?
It's covering his Swims suit :wave:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:32 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
But why the bathrobe?
:doh:

:D
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:45 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:32 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
But why the bathrobe?
:doh:

:D
Better that than a Teddy teddy :o
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So in another example of how bad behaviour is rewarded, singer Elle King got more publicity for being a drunken asshole at the Grand Ol Opry Dolly Parton tribute than she's probably gotten the entire rest of her career.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/elle-ki ... 45762.html

Hank Williams, country music legend and true Opry star was fired from the Opry for performing drunk, and many others have been not invited back. Whether King ever gets invited back is questionable, but in any case a lot of people know her name and have maybe played "Exes and Ohs" who had never before heard of her.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:39 am
So in another example of how bad behaviour is rewarded, singer Elle King got more publicity for being a drunken asshole at the Grand Ol Opry Dolly Parton tribute than she's probably gotten the entire rest of her career.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/elle-ki ... 45762.html

Hank Williams, country music legend and true Opry star was fired from the Opry for performing drunk, and many others have been not invited back. Whether King ever gets invited back is questionable, but in any case a lot of people know her name and have maybe played "Exes and Ohs" who had never before heard of her.
Who?
The singer-songwriter and daughter of Rob Schneider was filmed by fans who expressed their frustrations with what they said was a tasteless cover.
She got her three minutes.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Seems to me that her act was a natural result of the country music "roughhouse redneck hard drinkin'" persona.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://youtu.be/4WXYjm74WFI?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/7FY7RWJAtJQ?feature=shared

Our lake house was at Kowaliga. That’s where he wrote this about the cigar store Indian statue.

Y’all made me think of Hank
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - the history of Kowaliga is interesting. Didn't know it was ever a real place. Thought it was the name of the Indian.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Grammy performance of the night. :clap: :clap: :clap:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

:crybaby:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So for Valentine's we went into the city, stayed in a hotel overlooking the bay, had a nice dinner and went to the touring production of "Chicago." We had seen it a couple of times before, but it had been quite a while. https://www.broadwaysd.com/upcoming-eve ... foQAvD_BwE

Excellent, never gets old. Anything Fosse is high energy, but I think the current crop of performers are even more athletic than ever - some definitely Cirque-worthy.

Or, for anyone who prefers the other "Chicago", here's their schedule. Looks like the southern part of the tour is toward August.

https://chicagotheband.com/tour/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/ ... a-dog.html

It seems that the racist who brought us the dukes of hazzard “has become an outspoken conservative media presence in recent years. He responded to a question asked by “some other ignorant racist “about how the “lefties” in the entertainment just won’t leave any “area” alone and how they have to “seize control” over every aspect.”
Apparently bo bo and the interviewer are both too fucking ignorant of country music history to know that it, like almost all political leaning music, came from liberals speaking out against right-wing power and oppression. It was only recently that this mindless crap Toby Keith / top 40 pop country reared its ugly head to proclaim itself as “country music”. Some might go back as far has the junior who rode daddy’s coattails to sing/holler something about Monday night football being a conservative, but that wasn’t really music and I’m pretty sure he didn’t record conservative lyrics. Besides, he would have never cut a record if he hadn’t been named for a great country star. There was Merle. Early Merle didn’t like pot and hippies, but he also didn’t like big business and corporate power. Later on he accepted pot.
Bo duke/schneider/whatever agreed with the interviewer, “They’ve got to make their mark, just like a dog in a dog walk park,” Schneider said during the interview. “You know, every dog has to mark every tree, right? So that’s what’s going on here.”

I wonder what this has been tv actor has to say about the Man in Black who 50 or 60 years ago explained his black outfits “as a symbol of rebellion against a stagnant society that ignored the marginalized and closed-minded individuals”,
Or “Sixteen Tons” a hit 70 years ago by Tennessee Ernie Ford,
Or the hit song 55 years ago “Coal Miner’s Daughter” by Loretta Lynn.

Schneider, like the rest of the ignorant right, aren’t content with reality, but instead claim victim-hood in all their failures.
They’re content to call garbage like this from the man with two first names Country Music:
“Man, we lit up your world
Like the fourth of July
Hey Uncle Sam, put your name at the top of his list
And the Statue of Liberty started shakin' her fist
And the eagle will fly man, it's gonna be hell
When you hear mother freedom start ringin' her bell
And it feels like the whole wide world is raining down on you
Oh, brought to you courtesy of the red white and blue
Oh, and justice will be served and the battle will rage
This big dog will fight when you rattle his cage
And you'll be sorry that you messed with
The U.S. of A.
'Cause we'll put a boot in your ass
It's the American way”

It’s not even music, it’s just hate speech that rhymes.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

https://www.cracked.com/amp/article_411 ... ppets.html

Sorry Whack, only we elders remember the Muppets as a regular skit on SNL, but I never knew the back story.

“Henson was a key component in selling the show to NBC, who, according to Brillstein, were “so scared” of what Michaels and his team were cooking up that they insisted on Henson’s involvement to help “soften” the finished product. The network even made Henson’s Muppet segments one of their “non-negotiables” during contract talks, along with Albert Brooks’ short films. 
But things didn’t go well”.

Thanks to the writers union the “Gorch” sketches had to be penned by SNL’s writing staff” who didn’t want to write puppet stuff and Jim Henson was frustrated by their product

“John Belushi bitterly referred to the characters as “mucking fuppets” while SNL’s first head writer, Michael O’Donoghue, plainly stated, “I don’t write for felt.” At one point, O’Donoghue angrily tied the cord from his office’s Venetian blinds around the neck of a Big Bird stuffed toy. As Zweibel put it, “He was lynching Big Bird. And that’s how we all felt about the Muppets.”

https://www.facebook.com/TheFanatic20/v ... 039777632/

O Really
Admiral

So in an effort to expand my musical appreciation, I've been making an effort to familiarize myself with current pop. Sirius has "Hits 1", "Pandora Now" and "Tik-Tok Hits" and since it shows the artist and name of the song, it's almost like listening to back in the day radio with a DJ except without the ads after every song. One thing I noticed quickly was that there is a certain sameness about the music. Almost all of it has a heavy bass (drum or bass, maybe electronic) fronting the music. Not a lot of guitar riffs. Voices are mostly light and melodic, but not much power. Like neither, but much closer to Melanie than Janis. Significant rap influence, but not really rap. I've listened enough to Taylor Swift to think I recognize her, but really, if I don't know the songs and you played Taylor, Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande back to back I'm not sure I'd pick who is who. Or Post Malone from Ed Sheeran for that matter.

So I'm trying not to be a "young people's music sucks" kind of guy, and certainly some of what I've listened to is quite good, but it's certainly not like back in the day when (it seemed to me) bands and singers were instantly recognizable and distinguished from others. And what is it with the damn up front bass, anyway?

Anybody else listen to this stuff? At all? Am I wrong?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:56 pm
So in an effort to expand my musical appreciation, I've been making an effort to familiarize myself with current pop. Sirius has "Hits 1", "Pandora Now" and "Tik-Tok Hits" and since it shows the artist and name of the song, it's almost like listening to back in the day radio with a DJ except without the ads after every song. One thing I noticed quickly was that there is a certain sameness about the music. Almost all of it has a heavy bass (drum or bass, maybe electronic) fronting the music. Not a lot of guitar riffs. Voices are mostly light and melodic, but not much power. Like neither, but much closer to Melanie than Janis. Significant rap influence, but not really rap. I've listened enough to Taylor Swift to think I recognize her, but really, if I don't know the songs and you played Taylor, Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande back to back I'm not sure I'd pick who is who. Or Post Malone from Ed Sheeran for that matter.

So I'm trying not to be a "young people's music sucks" kind of guy, and certainly some of what I've listened to is quite good, but it's certainly not like back in the day when (it seemed to me) bands and singers were instantly recognizable and distinguished from others. And what is it with the damn up front bass, anyway?

Anybody else listen to this stuff? At all? Am I wrong?
My wife listens to all music all the time. You and I may not always be able to distinguish between Taylor, Dua Lipa and Ariana, but she can.

O Really
Admiral

I guess I've just got old ears.

This one's catchy (sorry it won't embed)

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:31 pm
I guess I've just got old ears.

This one's catchy (sorry it won't embed)
Old ears?

She's awesome!

O Really
Admiral

Old ears in easily distinguishing among the similar-sounding singers.