The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:26 pm
Swifties are unreal, almost trumpaloon like in their devotion.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tay ... 25001.html
Like Deadheads and Juggalos except they take baths.

O Really
Admiral

So why haven't I heard anybody complain about "cultural misappropriation" over ASAP Rocky's kilt?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:26 pm
Swifties are unreal, almost trumpaloon like in their devotion.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/tay ... 25001.html
Swifties are united in joy and love, trumpaloons are united in fear and hate.

https://www.tiktok.com/@auntie_hero/vid ... 0037878062

:( :thumbup: :clap:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 pm

True dat.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:37 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:54 pm

True dat.
https://twitter.com/TheTNHoller/status/ ... 8840430602
:thumbup: I'm not familiar with her music. What song is that?
If there’s a Hell I’m sure it’s something close to this
:)
James McMurtry
14h

Nashvillians,
If you can’t get tickets to Taylor Swift at the Nissan tonight, there might be a ticket or two left for James McMurtry down the street at Third and Lindsley.

:lol: If he's dressed like that would it now be illegal for the Swifty minors to attend? :think:

Hah, great minds, tweet under your tweet:
Lol bless the bored dad in the beginning of this clip. May his bud light remain full all night
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat May 06, 2023 10:40 pm
So why haven't I heard anybody complain about "cultural misappropriation" over ASAP Rocky's kilt?

Could it be because "cultural misappropriation" is fabricated bullshit?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I keep looking at that big bag of pot.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:14 am

It is, indeed. And if it had any actual meaning whatsoever, it would only apply in instances where a person claimed falsely to actually be a member of a culture not his own. And even then, there would be a big fuzzy line. How long would one have to live somewhere to be eligible to wear the clothing, eat the food, speak the slang, etc.?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 10:35 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 8:14 am

It is, indeed. And if it had any actual meaning whatsoever, it would only apply in instances where a person claimed falsely to actually be a member of a culture not his own. And even then, there would be a big fuzzy line. How long would one have to live somewhere to be eligible to wear the clothing, eat the food, speak the slang, etc.?
Kilts have been Swedish criminal and victim of Dolt .45 opportunism A$AP Rocky's jam for years. Maybe there was criticism in the past? Idk. Are any Scots offended? Their choice, right?

Folks did find other things to pan about his entry and fashion choice:
A$AP Rocky uses woman’s face to jump over barricade at MET Gala (videos)
A$AP Rocky Tramples Fans And Wears Terrible Outfit At MET Gala 2023
He did apologize to the fan.

I guess other looks caused more of a stir:

Met Gala 2023 most controversial looks - Jared Leto's cat costume to Lil Nas X bodypaint
The fundraiser for the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute sees famous faces rock some brave fashion choices on the famous red carpet, but not all celebrities invited to the Met Gala get it right when it comes to their outfits

Lil Nas X stunned in his revealing look

Not sure what cultural he's misappropriating. :headscratch:

Jared Leto dressed as Karl Lagerfeld's cat Choupette

Species misappropriation?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know if any Scots were offended, or if they're offended by others' wearing of kilts. The significant part of the kilt is its design/pattern, which is unique to a given clan. There's also different colours for Catholics and Protestants. Probably nobody cares. But it's no different from non-Indians wearing Indian stuff or white chicks with corn rows. I have no problem with people wearing stuff they got from other cultures as long as it's not intended as ridicule or disparagement.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:19 pm
I don't know if any Scots were offended, or if they're offended by others' wearing of kilts. The significant part of the kilt is its design/pattern, which is unique to a given clan. There's also different colours for Catholics and Protestants. Probably nobody cares. But it's no different from non-Indians wearing Indian stuff or white chicks with corn rows. I have no problem with people wearing stuff they got from other cultures as long as it's not intended as ridicule or disparagement.
Bingo
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

So here's an interesting cultural question: Are you a part of the culture you actually grew up in or a part of what your ancestors historically were? Take Eminim (Please!) for an example. Definitely white guy, and a rapper who wears the ghetto costume. But he really did grow up in a Black neighborhood around Detroit. What's he gonna do, try to fit in or try to make himself different? I say he's entitled to the culture he lived in. Or how "authentic" should an entertainer be - If you're Taylor Swift or Shania Twain you can apparently sing country without being criticized for never having picked cotton or walked the streets of Bakersfield or been a drunk with a broken down truck.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:51 pm
So here's an interesting cultural question: Are you a part of the culture you actually grew up in or a part of what your ancestors historically were? Take Eminim (Please!) for an example. Definitely white guy, and a rapper who wears the ghetto costume. But he really did grow up in a Black neighborhood around Detroit. What's he gonna do, try to fit in or try to make himself different? I say he's entitled to the culture he lived in. Or how "authentic" should an entertainer be - If you're Taylor Swift or Shania Twain you can apparently sing country without being criticized for never having picked cotton or walked the streets of Bakersfield or been a drunk with a broken down truck.
Eminem quashed any cultural misappropriation gripes decades ago, because of his origins as you say, by being so good at rap and by helping scores of Black rappers reach White audiences.

I get your point, but Shania Twain paid her "country" dues - abandoned by her father, adopted by an Ojibwa father, poverty, hunger, abusive household, underage and singing in bars for $20, heavy labor and low pay working with her father's reforestation business in northern Ontario, no name bands for years, parents died in a car wreck when she was 22, career largely on hold while she cared for her younger siblings, success didn't arrive until she was 28. Shania Twain IS a country music album.

Otoh, Taylor Swift, even more successful than Shania, was pretty much born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She lived in Hendersonville and attended Hendersonville High School (in Tennessee)! She did eventually ditch country for pop, which really made her career soar.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:02 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 12:51 pm
Eminem quashed any cultural misappropriation gripes decades ago, because of his origins as you say, by being so good at rap and by helping scores of Black rappers reach White audiences.

I get your point, but Shania Twain paid her "country" dues - abandoned by her father, adopted by an Ojibwa father, poverty, hunger, abusive household, underage and singing in bars for $20, heavy labor and low pay working with her father's reforestation business in northern Ontario, no name bands for years, parents died in a car wreck when she was 22, career largely on hold while she cared for her younger siblings, success didn't arrive until she was 28. Shania Twain IS a country music album.

Otoh, Taylor Swift, even more successful than Shania, was pretty much born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She lived in Hendersonville and attended Hendersonville High School (in Tennessee)! She did eventually ditch country for pop, which really made her career soar.
Didn't she move to Hendersonville (just outside Nashville and more of a suburb than a separate place) in hopes of a singing career?

Oh my god, some of my favorite Blues and Rock and Roll artists are white people.
A buddy got the downtown record store to open and play the first Ry Cooder album. We had heard him as backup on Stones etc.
As we were leaving an older black man stopped us and asked if that was a black man singing.
He was pleased to see a white man singing and playing like a black man.

It's a compliment, unless it's done to deceive.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:21 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Otoh, Taylor Swift, even more successful than Shania, was pretty much born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She lived in Hendersonville and attended Hendersonville High School (in Tennessee)! She did eventually ditch country for pop, which really made her career soar.
Didn't she move to Hendersonville (just outside Nashville and more of a suburb than a separate place) in hopes of a singing career?
Yes, Swift's stockbroker father was able to do that for her by transferring his job.
Oh my god, some of my favorite Blues and Rock and Roll artists are white people.
A buddy got the downtown record store to open and play the first Ry Cooder album. We had heard him as backup on Stones etc.
As we were leaving an older black man stopped us and asked if that was a black man singing.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's much complaint about American Whites adopting American Black music. It's all American music, it's generally allowed Blacks to crossover very lucratively, and it's been going on a long time - Jazz, Gospel, Blues and Rock and Roll as you say, now hip-hop, even as far back as Ragtime and probably before then.

I think people get touchier about it when Africans are expropriated, though maybe not as much with music as with other themes. Music seems made to bridge cultures rather than divide them.

"The White Zulu", Johnny Clegg:

Johnny Clegg And Savuka - Scatterlings Of Africa (1987)

I saw them in Amsterdam. :thumbup: :clap: :-||

On the central question I'm more agnostic than you guys. Being an old, hetero, White male with middle class xtian roots I'm inclined to listen to the aggrieved parties and make up my mind on a case-by-case basis.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:52 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 2:21 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Otoh, Taylor Swift, even more successful than Shania, was pretty much born with a silver spoon in her mouth. She lived in Hendersonville and attended Hendersonville High School (in Tennessee)! She did eventually ditch country for pop, which really made her career soar.
Yes, Swift's stockbroker father was able to do that for her by transferring his job.

I might be wrong, but I don't think there's much complaint about American Whites adopting American Black music. It's all American music, it's generally allowed Blacks to crossover very lucratively, and it's been going on a long time - Jazz, Gospel, Blues and Rock and Roll as you say, now hip-hop, even as far back as Ragtime and probably before then.

I think people get touchier about it when Africans are expropriated, though maybe not as much with music as with other themes. Music seems made to bridge cultures rather than divide them.

"The White Zulu", Johnny Clegg:

Johnny Clegg And Savuka - Scatterlings Of Africa (1987)

I saw them in Amsterdam. :thumbup: :clap: :-||

On the central question I'm more agnostic than you guys. Being an old, hetero, White male with middle class xtian roots I'm inclined to listen to the aggrieved parties and make up my mind on a case-by-case basis.
Are you saying that I m dumb enough to follow some sort of flock, as opposed to your superior method?

But then, I really don’t understand your post, so maybe so.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - I didn't know all of that about Shania, although I did get to see her in concert years ago. In case anybody forgot what she was like:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:42 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... On the central question I'm more agnostic than you guys. Being an old, hetero, White male with middle class xtian roots I'm inclined to listen to the aggrieved parties and make up my mind on a case-by-case basis.
Are you saying that I'm dumb enough to follow some sort of flock, as opposed to your superior method?

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Not at all. I'm saying that you and O Really have expressed strong feelings on the issue while I'm more wishy-washy because my privilege sometimes makes me clueless, NOTHING more.

You ought to know by now that when I think you're wrong there's little ambiguity to it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:46 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 3:42 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... On the central question I'm more agnostic than you guys. Being an old, hetero, White male with middle class xtian roots I'm inclined to listen to the aggrieved parties and make up my mind on a case-by-case basis.
Are you saying that I'm dumb enough to follow some sort of flock, as opposed to your superior method?

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Not at all. I'm saying that you and O Really have expressed strong feelings on the issue while I'm more wishy-washy because my privilege sometimes makes me clueless, NOTHING more.

You ought to know by now that when I think you're wrong there's little ambiguity to it.
Got it. Your post wasn't completely clear to me.

I'm not sure that I give a shit about a musicians background except as an enhancement (Twain). Swift isn't my style of music, but she made it on her own and she thumbed her nose at her maga fans by speaking out about trump.

I do have a lot of mixed feelings about individual legacy musicians. I guess I look at them individually.
Doc and Merle were a good thing.
Hank and Jr. were not.