The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
homerfobe
Ensign

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by homerfobe »

Bungalow Bill wrote:No Show had a smoother voice, but even he might sound bad to some people.

That song will make you cry in your beer! I didn't care for country music until I spent 3 months at sea in a sub. I got to liking it because most country music had some kind of story connected to it. Beat hell out of that screaming crap some of the guys liked listening to. I did like Tammy a tad bit more than George though.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

I still prefer rock/alternative, but the old-time country is good too. When
I was a teen, you couldn't have paid me to listen to country music, but
now I enjoy "classic" country.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Looks like we're finally in for some sunshine according to the weather reports!

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Best rendition of this I've heard yet. For all it's faults and short-comings, The USA is still the best country on this planet......

The National Anthem at the Panthers-49ers Game, Charlotte, NC

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:
Mr.B wrote: "The USA is still the best country on this planet......"
"Seasoned world traveler that you are."
If you don't like it, move out....Maybe you can find a country that will pamper to your every whim. :shock:

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's not a matter of not liking it. But "best" is certainly subject to interpretation and perspective. The thing to ask is not whether US citizens such as yourself think it's the best, but how many in the rest of the world think so. And how many in the rest of the world think where they live is the "best."

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "It's not a matter of not liking it. But "best" is certainly subject to interpretation and perspective. The thing to ask is not whether US citizens such as yourself think it's the best, but how many in the rest of the world think so. And how many in the rest of the world think where they live is the "best."
Exactly. I live here, support it with my taxes, vote for it's leaders and lawmakers, and despite my errors in judgment in choosing same, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Plenty of places I'd like to visit....but this is home. Now, which country would YOU think is the best?

I did say "For all it's faults and short-comings, The USA is still the best country....."
I'm certain those in other countries would say the same about their country as well.

O Really
Admiral

For example, I'd say ol' Homo would find Nigeria better... http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... s/4457085/

But IMNVHO, since I've lived in the US, England, Greece, and spent close to resident time in Canada, Italy, the Netherlands, Turks and Caicos and the Conch Republic, I'd say there are a lot of candidates for "best". If I had to pick one, I'd take the Netherlands.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:I love the Netherlands but it's too flat for me to live in a long time.
Nice easy biking. And if you want hills, take a train to Ardennes. Or Munchen. Or on down to Innsbruck. Easier than getting from here to Florida.

O Really
Admiral

I could certainly argue that some places in the US could compete for "best in the world" and that the US as a country is generally a good place to live - better for some than others, but still...

However, like the magazine/website ratings, "best" is largely subjective, and highly dependent on the measurement criteria. What are the criteria you use to determine it's the "best in the world", Mr.B?

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

Vrede wrote: Otherwise, I can't think of a single parameter where we rank as "best" and there are bunches of objective measures - education, healthcare, wealth distribution, literacy, pollution, energy efficiency, housing, unemployment, infant mortality, etc. - where we clearly don't.

It's really difficult for me to imagine the ego required to proclaim an area, state..country.. the "Best" simply because you're from there.. you can't value facts and make such a statement.. I believe it must come from the same synaptic group that dooms one to religious faith.
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

:-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-|| :-||

I love Hammond Organs .. I've bought, sold, repaired and played them but Damn.. just DAMN..
Her pedal work is phenomenal.. Enjoy..

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Another Hammond monster.. .. . albeit a much earlier one.. 8-)

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

This is Australian Tommy Emmanuel.. my son and I attended a guitar workshop with him at the Newberry Opera House a couple of years ago then caught the show later.. Utterly Amazing player and watching him break down his technique was simply incredible.. Chet Atkins said he was a truly a Certified Guitar Player..

He very often plays two parts .. the melody and the accompaniment.. .
Enjoy..

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:For example, I'd say ol' Homo would find Nigeria better... http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/worl ... s/4457085/

But IMNVHO, since I've lived in the US, England, Greece, and spent close to resident time in Canada, Italy, the Netherlands, Turks and Caicos and the Conch Republic, I'd say there are a lot of candidates for "best". If I had to pick one, I'd take the Netherlands.
I haven't traveled the world at all yet, and only very recently started traveling to different parts of the country that aren't the East Coast. The Netherlands is on my list of one of the first non-English countries I'd like to visit probably a few years down the line. I understand most everyone there probably speaks English, so aside from this, what I've always been curious about is how one travels to foreign countries without any knowledge of the local language? Do you generally learn common phrases and rely upon those for communication? Before going do you brush up on local laws and customs and what not?

O Really
Admiral

You can almost always find somebody who speaks some English - or some Spanish or French if you know those. Some countries obviously have more English-speakers than others. The US is, to my knowledge, one of the few major countries where bi-bilingualism isn't the norm. And, there are many translating/language apps to take along. I always like to get a local experience whenever possible, and I do try to learn a bit about the place I'm visiting before I get there. It's a lot easier to do that now than a long time ago.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:All of Western Europe is easy, many there speak English better than Americans. :D

I've found that most other nations, 35 now and counting for me, make it pretty manageable for English speakers. Staying at hostels is well worth it - You make temporary travel companions, often meet someone bilingual and learn all sorts of things you wouldn't have any other way. Some are pretty upscale and many have private rooms if you don't want to "rough it". Get off the tourist track and you might have more trouble but you'd be amazed by what you can accomplish with a smile and sign language. Plus, the adventure of it makes your trip that much richer.

That said, the attempt at a few common phrases (memorized or out of a guide book) and brushing up on local laws and customs are noticed, appreciated and open doors for you that you otherwise wouldn't have known existed.
What was the first non-English country you visited, and what difference did you find the most striking?

All I have to go by is the first time I came down south to SC. I hadn't traveled outside of the Northeast and the NJ part Florida (which is basically a NY/NJ colony anyway so that doesn't count). The thing that struck me the most was the way people talked (obviously). I couldn't understand some people. Fun story: This dude asked me for a pen and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I thought he was asking me if I had to take a piss or something and was confused as hell, because he pronounced pen like "pee-an". All I heard was "Hey mayn, you got a pee-ing"? I was confused as shit for about 10 seconds until he made a writing gesture with his hand, at which point I briefly thought he was saying he wanted to help me take a piss by manning my fire-house, then I realize he was making a writing gesture and everything clicked.

The other thing that struck me about SC was how shitty it looked. No offense SC, I love it here now, but driving down I-85 it looks like you've entered a damn third world country. The lackadaisical city-planning (subdivisions everywhere :(), everything looked "dirty", and it seemed like most people didn't take pride in their yards and just let them get trashed and had no qualms with tossing garbage wherever convenient. I've had others make the same observation independently of me. In SC's defense though, I found the down-towns are nicer than compared to back home. Back home the towns look like they're post-apocalyptic wastelands. You don't go downtown on a Friday night for fun, at least where I lived anyway. Here they're actually really nice.

I know most of you guys live up in Western NC. I love it up there. Asheville's the place. I'm sad they're no longer having Bel-chere.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote: "Mr.B. Let me provide some stuff for you and you tell me if you like it at all:"
Well.......they're OK....I guess; if you could understand what they're saying...... I did like the B&W video of the 30's scene.

There's a good message in this song:

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Mr.B wrote: "I don't care one bit for today's "Country" music; the long, drawn-out whines, repetitive words and so on.
Give me the old 60's & 70's Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Ricky Van Shelton, Willie Nelson etc., etc., etc."
This slightly blurred video appears to be a screen-grab off a video from the former CMT. (Note the diesel bus pulling up to the gasoline pumps......) :lol:

Song video only: Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Mr.B wrote:Check out this synchronization!