The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by O Really »

Wonder what color the "90 percent" are and what color the 10 percent are.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am
I didn't watch but the first 10 minutes - so ...
but they were all sentenced and a very few got out early with good behavior and I bet the black/white split was similar to the incarceration rate.
The real racism in the criminal justice system is LEO, after that I bet it's pretty close to the same for all.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:40 pm
... I bet the black/white split was similar to the incarceration rate.
No white guys, then?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:00 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
No white guys, then?
Half a one.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:37 am
The report does focus on Blacks, being AL and all, but I don't remember it breaking down the figures by race. The point was more about how almost all paroles are being denied at the behest of Gov Kay Ivey (R). Could be, as billy.pilgrim suggests, that it's racist by virtue of the racist incarceration rate, could be it's more actively racist -0-? . Whatever the colors are, the report points out that fiscally strapped AL is building 2 large new prisons to handle the overflow. :angry-cussing:
Last edited by Vrede too on Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:20 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:00 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
No white guys, then?
Half a one.
Alabama's race problem has diminished over the past 30 or so years due to the increasing number of poor white people. Poor everywhere get the short stick.
For blatant racism you may find worse in our mostly white states.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:07 pm

Alabama's race problem has diminished over the past 30 or so years due to the increasing number of poor white people. Poor everywhere get the short stick.
For blatant racism you may find worse in our mostly white states.
i.e. poverty is colorblind and apparently an equalizer.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Least we forget:
They were sentenced to serve a specific term - parole is more than just a get out of jail early because you been good.
Charles Manson was denied parole 11 times and died before his 12th.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The South may get more of a bad rap than it deserves for racism in this century and the last. Of course there are more instances in a state with 25 or 30% blacks compared to one with 2 or 3%. This whole country is/was racist, but it has been easy through a little revisionist history to dump it all on the South because of slavery and the Civil War.
I've never seen a poll, but from personal interactions and these forums, I would guess that more than half the country thinks the Underground Railroad helped slaves to the wonders of a perfectly integrated North, rather than through the northern slave patrols and local law enforcement to Canada

Study Sundown Towns - they were mostly up north.

Or this bit from Wikipedia on the Green Book. Without this a black person or family couldn't find a restaurant or motel or barber etc in the North, whereas in the South they could go to the other side of the tracks. While just as bad, I don't think ut was worse, just different.

"Its scope expanded greatly during its years of publication; from covering only the New York City area in the first edition, it eventually covered facilities in most of the United States and parts of Canada (primarily Montreal), Mexico, and Bermuda. Coverage was good in the eastern United States and weak in Great Plains states such as North Dakota, where there were few black residents. It eventually sold around 15,000 copies per year, distributed by mail order, by churches and black-owned businesses as well as by Esso service stations;"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles held 13 parole hearings Thursday, Oct. 27, granting no paroles and denying 13. The Board also held four hearings on requests for pardons, granting three and denying one.

The link says how to search for details on each.

Here's the new prisons bill:

Ivey signs $1.3 billion of prison infrastructure bills into law
Published: Oct. 1, 2021

Weird, I can open the pic as a new tab, but it won't post here. Oh well, you can see it at the link. Notice any demographics about the assemblage?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:19 pm
The Alabama Board of Pardons and Paroles held 13 parole hearings Thursday, Oct. 27, granting no paroles and denying 13. The Board also held four hearings on requests for pardons, granting three and denying one.

The link says how to search for details on each.

Here's the new prisons bill:

Ivey signs $1.3 billion of prison infrastructure bills into law
Published: Oct. 1, 2021

Weird, I can open the pic as a new tab, but it won't post here. Oh well, you can see it at the link. Notice any demographics about the assemblage?
6 white
7 black

Even at nearly 3 times the incarceration rate, percentage wise blacks have a much higher parole rate.

Overall, no doubt that Bama uses jail way too much

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:02 pm
6 white
7 black

Even at nearly 3 times the incarceration rate, percentage wise blacks have a much higher parole rate.
Parole for blacks is "much higher" than 3 times the rate for Whites? Again, I don't recall the report saying that the Parole Board's stats are racist, but I have a hard time believing that they're contra-racist.

What happened at about halfway through that made you stop watching?
:thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ation_rate
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:02 pm
6 white
7 black

Parole for blacks is "much higher" than 3 times the rate for Whites? Again, I don't recall the report saying that the Parole Board's stats are racist, but I have a hard time believing that they're contra-racist.

What happened at about halfway through that made you stop watching?
:thumbup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ation_rate
Black incarceration is 3 times that of whites
Blacks getting parole in this small sample is only 1 off of an even split.
Arguing with math and stop signs won't get you anywhere.

Probably it's simply too small of a sample, or it could be the whites don't believe they have to try to act decent, or they are bigger assholes. I don't know, but the numbers are simple.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

And not just Bama. We have one state at 1,400 and consider less than 600 as our model states. Fer shame, Fer shame

Nearly every country in Europe is at around 100. Why no GB? idk

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:49 pm

Probably it's simply too small of a sample, or it could be the whites don't believe they have to try to act decent, or they are bigger assholes. I don't know, but the numbers are simple.
:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Of the 13 heard NO paroles were granted. I don't think we can draw any conclusions, including racial ones, other than that the Parole Board is fucked up thanks to Ivey.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:12 pm
And not just Bama. We have one state at 1,400 and consider less than 600 as our model states. Fer shame, Fer shame

Even with all of the sub-600 light blue, your link says that the US has the world's highest rate of incarceration at 629 per 100K and the most people in prison at 2,068,800. :angry-banghead: :angry-cussing:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:49 pm

:headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: Of the 13 heard NO paroles were granted. I don't think we can draw any conclusions, including racial ones, other than that the Parole Board is fucked up thanks to Ivey.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:12 pm

Even with all of the sub-600 light blue, your link says that the US has the world's highest rate of incarceration at 629 per 100K and the most people in prison at 2,068,800. :angry-banghead: :angry-cussing:
Oops, I misread the # considered as the # granted.
Oh well, they did treat blacks and whites exactly the same.

I wonder why GB was excluded. The map even shows them as gray

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Bodycam video: Deputies mistake legally blind man's walking stick for a gun and arrest him

Two Florida deputies were suspended without pay ("for several days") after mistaking a legally blind man's walking stick for a pistol and arresting him on charges later dropped.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Man told officers he was having a stroke — but he was put in jail and died, suit says

Geneva County, Alabama

Very rural, close to billy.pilgrim. Charge these cops and jailers with murder and LOCK THEM UP! 1312.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Damn, I totally missed it.
How did y'all celebrate National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day 2023?

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/natio ... g-officers