The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:26 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:46 pm
Get this: black kid brings his friend a loaded gun and then uses his car to block the victim's car so his buddy can shoot her.
Sheriff’s chief deppity says, "There’s nothing we could charge him with,’' according to the law, she said."

And his coach says, "not in any trouble” as a result of his alleged involvement."

“Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case. Wrong spot at the wrong time,”

https://www.al.com/news/2023/02/darius- ... stify.html

More in our Sports section.
I saw a slightly different headline and was ready to crow with you about it. Then, I read the no charges, "not in any trouble” :bs: . :roll: I hope her family raises hell, but maybe the alumni have already bought them off.
If anything is done, it will be by the feds and long after the season is over.

This is insane, in the least he's an accomplice.

Britannica says,
accomplice, in law, a person who becomes equally guilty in the crime of another by knowingly and voluntarily aiding the other to commit the offense. An accomplice is either an accessory or an abettor. The accessory aids a criminal prior to the crime, whereas the abettor aids the offender during the crime itself.

Everything I've ever seen says the same
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

All I know about criminal law I've learned on ID, but I've seen quite a few people charged with murder when they were just driving the car and didn't see the killing or even know their buddy was going to shoot somebody. Maybe it's just Alabama, but I'm pretty sure they've charged other black guys with crimes on weaker grounds.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:39 pm

Britannica says,
accomplice, in law, a person who becomes equally guilty in the crime of another by knowingly and voluntarily aiding the other to commit the offense. An accomplice is either an accessory or an abettor. The accessory aids a criminal prior to the crime, whereas the abettor aids the offender during the crime itself.

All I know about criminal law I've learned from O Really, but I think the feds only get involved if it's a civil rights case. With all of the players being Black . . .

Maaybe the NCAA will take action and suspend him, but I won't hold my breath.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

They can also be an "accessory after the fact" for helping the doer after he's done. Seems driving him away from the crime scene would qualify.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

No link, maybe I'll go looking for it
"statute called “felony murder.” Most states have some version of a “felony murder” law in their criminal code. Such statutes allow for defendants to be convicted of murder — and in some cases face execution — if a death occurs because of a felony they commit, even if they were not the direct killer."

He Never Touched the Murder Weapon. Alabama Sentenced Him to Die. https://nyti.ms/2ZZiA4u

"He Never Touched the Murder Weapon. Alabama Sentenced Him to Die.
Nathaniel Woods was unarmed when three Birmingham police officers were fatally shot by someone else in 2004. But Woods, a Black man, was convicted of capital murder for his role in the deaths of the three white officers."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:35 pm
They can also be an "accessory after the fact" for helping the doer after he's done. Seems driving him away from the crime scene would qualify.
Would the cop, who lied about there being no reason to charge him, be an accessory after the fact?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:00 pm
"statute called “felony murder.” Most states have some version of a “felony murder” law in their criminal code. Such statutes allow for defendants to be convicted of murder — and in some cases face execution — if a death occurs because of a felony they commit, even if they were not the direct killer."

He Never Touched the Murder Weapon. Alabama Sentenced Him to Die. https://nyti.ms/2ZZiA4u

Nathaniel Woods was unarmed when three Birmingham police officers were fatally shot by someone else in 2004. But Woods, a Black man, was convicted of capital murder for his role in the deaths of the three white officers."
Fwiw, if Brandon Miller legally possessed the gun there may not have been a primary felony that led to the murder. If so, either he's an accessory to murder or he isn't. I think he is.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

That father and son duo of racist GA crackers, Travis and Greg McMichael, who killed Ahmaud Arbery, were convicted of murder as well as "malice murder" but I don't think the other guy, the neighbor (who filmed the encounter) got the malice murder charge. Can't remember. But apparently GA has this distinction. I suppose other states have the same thing but may call it something else.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:37 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

That father and son duo of racist GA crackers, Travis and Greg McMichael, who killed Ahmaud Arbery, were convicted of murder as well as "malice murder" but I don't think the other guy, the neighbor (who filmed the encounter) got the malice murder charge. Can't remember. But apparently GA has this distinction. I suppose other states have the same thing but may call it something else.

Wouldn't you feel different if you realized that the guy with the camera had supplied the McMichaels with a loaded gun and then blocked Arbery's escape?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:58 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Wouldn't you feel different if you realized that the guy with the camera had supplied the McMichaels with a loaded gun and then blocked Arbery's escape?
neoplacebo stated the facts he recalls, not his feelings about them. William "Roddie" Bryan DID try to "'corner' Arbery with his vehicle five times".
(State) Verdict

On November 24, 2021, the jury reached a verdict after 12 hours of deliberation spanning two days.

Travis McMichael was found guilty of malice murder, four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault (with a firearm and with a pickup truck), false imprisonment, and criminal attempt to commit a felony (false imprisonment).

Gregory McMichael was found guilty of four counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault (with a firearm and with a pickup truck), false imprisonment, and criminal attempt to commit a felony (false imprisonment). He was found not guilty of malice murder.

William "Roddie" Bryan was found guilty of three counts of felony murder, one count of aggravated assault (with a pickup truck), false imprisonment, and criminal attempt to commit a felony (false imprisonment). He was found not guilty of malice murder, not guilty of one count of felony murder, and not guilty of one count of aggravated assault (with a firearm).

A crowd outside the Glynn County courthouse cheered at the guilty verdict by the jury.

Sentencing

As a result of the verdicts, both the McMichaels and Bryan faced mandatory sentences of life imprisonment. The prosecution did not seek the death penalty in this case.

On January 7, 2022, the McMichaels were sentenced to life imprisonment with no parole and an additional 20 years, while Bryan was sentenced to life imprisonment with the possibility of parole after 30 years....
Bryan will be about 82 years old in 30 years after sentencing.
:clap: :---P
(Federal) Verdict

On February 22, 2022, the McMichaels and Bryan were found guilty of all counts in the federal trial. A jury of eight white people, three Black people and one Hispanic person reached a verdict in just over three hours.

All three men were found guilty of using force and threats of force to intimidate and interfere with Arbery's right to use a public street because of his race.

All three men were found guilty of attempted kidnapping.

Travis McMichael was found guilty of using, carrying, brandishing, and firing a gun during a crime of violence.

Greg McMichael was found guilty of using, carrying, and brandishing a gun during a crime of violence.

... Sentencing

On August 8, 2022, Travis and Gregory McMichael were sentenced to second life terms for committing a federal hate crime. Travis received additional 10 years and his father Gregory seven years in addition to their life sentences. Bryan was sentenced to 35 years in prison.
Not very comparable to the AL accomplice skating entirely.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:58 am
neoplacebo wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

No, how I "feel" about it is irrelevant. They all three got life sentences, one of them with a chance for parole.

Charles Manson never killed anybody, but died in prison after being there for decades. During one of his parole hearings, he stated "I don't break laws; I make laws." And in spite of all that, he still died in prison.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Get this: black kid brings his friend a loaded gun and then uses his car to block the victim's car so his buddy can shoot her.
Sheriff’s chief deppity says, "There’s nothing we could charge him with,’' according to the law, she said."

And his coach says, "not in any trouble” as a result of his alleged involvement."

“Brandon hasn’t been in any type of trouble nor is he in any type of trouble in this case. Wrong spot at the wrong time,”

I saw a slightly different headline and was ready to crow with you about it. Then, I read the no charges, "not in any trouble” :bs: . :roll: I hope her family raises hell, but maybe the alumni have already bought them off.

Britannica says,

This explains why Miller has not been charged, but it doesn't go so far as to exonerate him.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... er-charges
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Just good guys with guns.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Even if he walks on criminal charges, he's gonna get the shit sued out of him in civil court.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:18 am
Even if he walks on criminal charges, he's gonna get the shit sued out of him in civil court.
The University, the coach and Miller should all go down.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:18 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Britannica says,

This explains why Miller has not been charged, but it doesn't go so far as to exonerate him.
Oh come on. I had to check first to see if Rothstein was a bammer grad.

The way I read it, after cutting out miller's excuses, has him as an accessory.

I think his smiling pat down for the game 2 days later perfectly describes his lack of concern over the murder of the young woman.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:51 am
Vrede too wrote:

I think his smiling pat down for the game 2 days later perfectly describes his lack of concern over the murder of the young woman.
Yeah, that was disgusting.

If Miller is guilty maybe they'll get one of the 2 accused or other witnesses to roll over on him.

He had 20 points and 12 rebounds in today's 11-point victory over Missouri. Tourney MVP would be sadly ironic.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Vrede too wrote:

If Miller is guilty maybe they'll get one of the 2 accused or other witnesses to roll over on him.

He had 20 points and 12 rebounds in today's 11-point victory over Missouri. Tourney MVP would be sadly ironic.

He's been off since the shooting. He was averaging 31. I think we held him to 17.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:56 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

He's been off since the shooting. He was averaging 31. I think we held him to 17.
Nah, the murder was on 1/15, he's averaging 19.5 on the season, his best game was 41 points on 2/22 vs SC, you held him under 20 both times, and he scored 31 the day before the murder, 30 two days after.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... don-miller

Either there's nothing for his conscience to stress over or he has no conscience.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:58 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:56 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Nah, the murder was on 1/15, he's averaging 19.5 on the season, his best game was 41 points on 2/22 vs SC, you held him under 20 both times, and he scored 31 the day before the murder, 30 two days after.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... don-miller

Either there's nothing for his conscience to stress over or he has no conscience.
Wishful thinking on my part.