The LEO thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ombudsman
Ensign

Re: The LEO thread

Unread post by Ombudsman »

Police: Deputy lied about stolen car; assault

ASHEVILLE, N.C. —A deputy recently charged with driving while impaired is now accused of filing a false police report.

On Friday morning, Asheville police cited Buncombe County Deputy Jason Honeycutt at Mission Hospital for driving while impaired.

Police said Honeycutt was driven home by his wife after being treated for minor injuries.

On Tuesday, Asheville police released new information about the case.

They said Honeycutt contacted the police department before he was cited Friday morning to report his vehicle stolen and say he had been assaulted.

Since then, police said they discovered Honeycutt lied and was charged with filing a false police report...
http://www.wyff4.com/news/north-carolin ... index.html
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This morning WLOS had a list of the recent DWI inflicted cops; most of them got thirty days in the electric chair, I think.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

Vrede wrote:Do you do all those things while driving?

I'm surprised to learn that any electronic device with an internal clock does not time stamp actions performed on it even if the time stamp does not appear on the screen. I know that my computer time stamps modifications to documents, for example, but one has to look in the info. to find it.
I try not to do any of that. I have enough trouble using Golfshot GPS while driving the cart. Trees kept pulling out in front of me.

I was just listing all the things I can think of that I do with a phone where there's no time recorded by the app. There doesn't appear to be any sort of time record on my internet usage, either. I could be driving down the road watching videos on YouTube. Check my appointments. I have an app for checking stocks that I've never used. Another for weather.

There might be some way that a techie could get into the operating system, but I've never heard of it. I doubt troopers would be that tech savvy.

You know, if you set your time manually -- off by 30 minutes -- I'm guessing that the phone calls and texts would show up 30 minutes earlier when you weren't on the road.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ombudsman wrote:

ASHEVILLE, N.C. —A deputy recently charged with driving while impaired is now accused of filing a false police report.

On Friday morning, Asheville police cited Buncombe County Deputy Jason Honeycutt at Mission Hospital for driving while impaired.

Police said Honeycutt was driven home by his wife after being treated for minor injuries.

They said Honeycutt contacted the police department before he was cited Friday morning to report his vehicle stolen and say he had been assaulted.

Since then, police said they discovered Honeycutt lied and was charged with filing a false police report...
Turns out this is the same scumbag that shot that vicious border collie in the park a couple of months ago. Everybody believed his story then. Law officers never lie when they get caught, do they?

I hope they take away his kids and toss him in a cell with Bubba. And a couple of really foul pit bulls.
Last edited by O Really on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:

Turns out this is the same scumbag that shot that vicious border collie in the park a couple of months ago. Everybody believed his story then. Law officers never lie when they get caught, do they?

I hope they take away his kids and toss him in a cell with Bubba. And a couple of really foul pit bulls.
I think the best part is that his gun was stolen by a convicted felon; they say the gun has been recovered, but the cop's felon sidekick is still loose.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Man sentenced for shooting alleged burglars

COLUMBIA — A convicted felon who shot and killed two men he said were trying to rob his Spartanburg apartment has been sentenced to prison.

U.S. Attorney Bill Nettles says 30-year-old Douglas Williams was sentenced Wednesday to more than six years in federal prison.

Authorities say Williams shot 22-year-old Michael Gentry-Hill Jr. and 18-year-old Darren Hill in April 2012.

Local officials chose not to prosecute Williams, who was prohibited from having a gun because of a 2008 forgery conviction. Investigators said he got the gun from the glove compartment of his girlfriend’s car.

At the time, Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said Williams’ apartment had been broken into three times previously.

In February, Williams pleaded guilty to being a felon in possession of a gun.
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/viewart ... d-burglars

Good to see good old boy Sheriff Chuck Wright had someone over seeing his department. Otherwise this guy would have gotten away scot free. Wright was quick to claim the guy was within his rights as a stand your ground defense.

O Really
Admiral

Ombudsman wrote: Good to see good old boy Sheriff Chuck Wright had someone over seeing his department. Otherwise this guy would have gotten away scot free. Wright was quick to claim the guy was within his rights as a stand your ground defense.
Indeed, but that brings up an interesting question I hadn't thought about. A convicted felon can't own a gun ("possess"), we know that. But what constitutes "possessing?" Apparently in this case it means holding in your hand - even if you believe he was shooting burglars. I like it. Of course, they didn't say anything about the "burglars" being charged with anything, so that tale might have been suspect in the first place.

Ombudsman
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Ombudsman wrote: Good to see good old boy Sheriff Chuck Wright had someone over seeing his department. Otherwise this guy would have gotten away scot free. Wright was quick to claim the guy was within his rights as a stand your ground defense.
Indeed, but that brings up an interesting question I hadn't thought about. A convicted felon can't own a gun ("possess"), we know that. But what constitutes "possessing?" Apparently in this case it means holding in your hand - even if you believe he was shooting burglars. I like it. Of course, they didn't say anything about the "burglars" being charged with anything, so that tale might have been suspect in the first place.
I suspect it was. They were a good distance from his house when he shot them. This was one of several instances that occurred in Sparkle City after Chuck Wright told everyone to arm themselves because he didn't have the manpower to catch all the criminals. One guy shot two people in his driveway he claimed followed him home. Another couple drove 45 minutes to an empty home they owned, both armed, then shot a homeless man who their realtor had told them was living inside. Wright did nothing about this.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Does this one pass what Stinger calls the sniff test?

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/sp ... index.html

O Really
Admiral

Ombudsman wrote:Does this one pass what Stinger calls the sniff test?

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/sp ... index.html
If I'm the one sniffing, I'd probably say it's OK pending further investigation. If the intruders really were inside the house, the homeowners are entitled to shoot them. But the investigators should be able to tell if their story holds water. Problem is, most ordinary burglars don't break in if it looks like someone is home. These sound more like robbers or that they targeted the couple for some reason. Either way, it looks at this point like the good guys won.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Something about wresting the gun from the robber in the house then shooting him in the driveway with his own weapon just doesn't hold water. Plus the wife's story of listening to music through headphones while watching TV doesn't really add up.

Of course it could be that the reporter got some things wrong.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:And "playing with her iPad".

You got something wrong. The article does not say the alleged intruder was shot "in the driveway", just that's where deputies found him. Could be he staggered a bit before dropping.
Yeah, and that's one of the things the investigators should be able to discover. Shooting someone in the face isn't easy unless you're really close - or you aimed for the body mass and missed. I'll bet there's more to the story than they're telling, though.

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of cops behaving badly... http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... hief-wreck

ASHEVILLE — A city police lieutenant alleged Tuesday morning that police Chief William Anderson and a high-ranking captain tried to coerce him into making “false and misleading” statements regarding a car accident involving the chief’s son.

Might make one wonder if the LT got passed over for a Captain job, hmmmm?

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:Why are you more suspicious of the LT than of the chief and captain?
I'm not. The chief and captain likely did what he said they did. The chief's conduct regarding the case was suspect from the start. But my question is, what is the LT's motive in bringing this up? If you're going to take on the brass, you better have enough to get them fired or your cop life as you knew it is over. At least in a non-union police department.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I predict Chief Anderson will go the way of Chief Bill down in Sanford, but as of now I have not written to Chief Anderson to suggest he resign, as I did for Chief Bill.

O Really
Admiral

The Chief certainly stepped in it. Whether it will stick very long, we don't know. I'm sure he's not the first cop to tell a fellow officer or subordinate "that's my kid, let's give him a break" - and especially since in this instance the only damage seems to be to his own car.
But apparently there was more to the "contradiction" in reporting than has been published. Exercising one's authority in whether to write a ticket is one thing. Destroying evidence or falsifying testimony is quite something else.

O Really
Admiral

What IS it with these effin' idiots wanting to shoot dogs? I hope this one spends several years defending a lawsuit...
http://now.msn.com/barry-rountree-incom ... ative-duty

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Not a LEO opps, but I noticed a story on WLOS the other day about a 13 year old girl in Rutherford County was shot through the arm and into the abdomen by her adult cousin, who was "showing her" his new 45 caliber handgun he had just bought a few hours earlier. Last night WLOS said the girl has had six surgeries so far, but is expected to recover.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:Girl buys water, spends night in jail

Say it had been a 12-pack of beer - 7 cops, at least one with gun drawn?
That's totally outrageous - for possibly underage beer purchase? Seriously? Somebody ought to be sacked - the officers involved, and the people who knew or should have known this sort of ambush was part of the strategy - but of course they won't. It's just another "justified shooting" and the cost of the resultant lawsuit is just part of the risk of "serving and protecting." :roll:

O Really
Admiral

Dog-shooting lying piece of scum was trying to pump himself up with illegal testosterone. Sumbitch's got anger issues, truth issues, drinking issues...anybody want to take bets on how long before he shoots somebody?

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... r-s-locker