The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:14 pm
It's been a long time since I watched RED.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1245526/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red

I had never seen Red 2.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821694/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red_2

:clap: :clap:

Mary-Louise Parker is one of my all-time crushes, for decades. Still, 2022:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

East Side Sushi
2014 PG 1h 46m

An immigrant (Mexican) single mother disenfranchised by her regular life decides to take a chance working at a Japanese restaurant and realises her dreams to become a sushi chef to provide a better future to her family.
Tomatometer 95%, Audience Score 83%

Not a film I normally would have picked, but nothing else was on. It's very good.

WARNING: Watch on a full stomach or you will be ordering takeout, or maybe even going to dine-in sitting at the sushi bar.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Conjuring 2
R, 2016, Horror/Mystery & thriller, 2h 13m
Tomatometer 80%, Audience Score 81%

Sequels often flop and I'm not much of a horror buff, but this one is well made - good story line, nonstop frights. Fwiw,

The Conjuring
R, 2013, Horror/Mystery & thriller, 1h 51m
Tomatometer 86%, Audience Score 83%
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Well, we went to see Barbie. I thought it was fun and entertaining; Lady O didn't much care for it. On a somewhat rainy cool Tuesday afternoon, with no line and only a few in the theatre, it was a good use of time. Good dialogue, and all the Barbies were both believable as doll toys and also alive. One fun thing:
Spoiler:
Barbie was, as now a human, distraught that she thought she was no longer perfect, not pretty anymore. A voice was heard from offscreen (but part of the movie) saying "Note to casting director - casting Margot Robbie for this part was not a good idea if you wanted to make that point" (that Barbie isn't pretty anymore)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Funny spoiler. :thumbup:
O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:29 pm
Well, we went to see Barbie. I thought it was fun and entertaining; Lady O didn't much care for it....
Insight into your relationship? Nttawwt :P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It had been a long time since I saw this:
Enemy of the State
1998 R 2h 12m

A lawyer becomes targeted by a corrupt politician and his N.S.A. goons when he accidentally receives key evidence to a politically motivated crime.

Stars: Will Smith, Gene Hackman, Jon Voight, Lisa Bonet, Gabriel Byrne, nepo babies Jake Busey and Scott Caan
Tomatometer 71%, Audience Score 78%

:clap: Good political/spy thriller. 3 years before 9/11 and the "Patriot" Act, 15 years before patriot Edward Snowden's whistleblowing, 25 years before today's mass surveillance and national security state. Impressive.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:35 am
It had been a long time since I saw this:
Enemy of the State
1998 R 2h 12m

A lawyer becomes targeted by a corrupt politician and his N.S.A. goons when he accidentally receives key evidence to a politically motivated crime.

Stars: Will Smith, Gene Hackman, Jon Voight, Lisa Bonet, Gabriel Byrne, nepo babies Jake Busey and Scott Caan
Tomatometer 71%, Audience Score 78%

:clap: Good political/spy thriller. 3 years before 9/11 and the "Patriot" Act, 15 years before patriot Edward Snowden's whistleblowing, 25 years before today's mass surveillance and national security state. Impressive.
Never saw it, looks good.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:18 am
It's on FXHD. All times EDT:
Today at 5:00 PM
09/15/2023 at 10:30 AM
09/15/2023 at 11:00 PM
https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/overview. ... aid=gapzap

1998, I'm sure it's also streaming from the usual places.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:29 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 10:18 am
It's on FXHD. All times EDT:
Today at 5:00 PM
09/15/2023 at 10:30 AM
09/15/2023 at 11:00 PM
https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/overview. ... aid=gapzap

1998, I'm sure it's also streaming from the usual places.
Just checked, it's on hulu.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Amazing documentary:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3358086/

Can be found in YouTube

Radical Evil:
How do normal young men turn into mass murderers? With detailed accounts from the diaries of Nazi death squads, Academy Award winning director Stefan Ruzowitzky crafts a chilling study on the nature of evil.
Radical evil is a documentary asking why ordinary people become mass murderers.its particular focus is on nazi soldiers who murdered Jewish civilians with pistols and rifles in the years 1941 to 1943. About two million Jewish civilians are estimated to have been killed by these death
squads in Eastern Europe.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:45 pm
Amazing documentary:

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3358086/

Can be found in YouTube

Radical Evil:
How do normal young men turn into mass murderers? With detailed accounts from the diaries of Nazi death squads, Academy Award winning director Stefan Ruzowitzky crafts a chilling study on the nature of evil.
Radical evil is a documentary asking why ordinary people become mass murderers.its particular focus is on nazi soldiers who murdered Jewish civilians with pistols and rifles in the years 1941 to 1943. About two million Jewish civilians are estimated to have been killed by these death squads in Eastern Europe.
Thanks. :problem: :(

Speaking of horrors:
Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror is a 2019 American documentary film directed by Xavier Burgin and based on the 2011 non-fiction book Horror Noire: Blacks in American Horror Films from the 1890s to Present by Robin R. Means Coleman. The film examines the relationship between African-American history and the evolution of the horror film genre, and the roles that African-American people have played in the genre's development....

It received critical acclaim, with critics praising its informativeness, entertainment value, and variety of interview subjects in the fields of both filmmaking and academia.
:-|| I agree. Sometimes, I missed the culture that's happened around me. :problem:

Tomatometer 100%, Audience Score 67%

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Matrix Resurrections (2021)

Critical response

The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 63% based on 356 reviews, with an average rating of 6.2/10. The site's critics consensus reads: "If it lacks the original's bracingly original craft, The Matrix Resurrections revisits the world of the franchise with wit, a timely perspective, and heart." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 63 out of 100, based on 57 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews". Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "B−" on an A+ to F scale, the lowest of the series, while PostTrak reported 60% of audience members gave it a positive score, with 46% saying they would definitely recommend it....
I agree with all of that. It's not stunning like The Matrix and The Matrix Reloaded, but is much better than The Matrix Revolutions. I don't regret the time spent watching it.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Movie trivia
Who knew, or I never knew that Jagger once owned A Clockwork Orange and had some had their way he would have played the lead.

While interesting enough, it was nowhere near as weird as the article that followed.

John Lennon's involvement in endorsing Alejandro Jodorowsky's Acid Western film El Topo, a horrifying feature, particularly given the extremely problematic nature of circumstances surrounding the film's production.

Has anyone else seen this movie, or even heard of Acid Westerns?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

No one?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:05 am
No one?
I've heard of Acid Westerns and they're close to what I would have guessed. However, I was never a huge fan of any westerns and have seen very few in the Example filmography (not El Topo ) and those were all so many decades ago that I can't remember them. Sorry.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

I've not heard of acid westerns.

Westerns probably stopped with me with John Wayne although I did like the Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore version).

And Blazing Saddles.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:23 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:05 am
No one?
I've heard of Acid Westerns and they're close to what I would have guessed. However, I was never a huge fan of any westerns and have seen very few in the Example filmography (not El Topo ) and those were all so many decades ago that I can't remember them. Sorry.
This film was just wrong, wrong on so many levels, but at the same time an experience all its own.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I've never heard the term "Acid western" nor seen El Topo. From the list, I saw Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. OTOH, however, back in the day when everybody had CB radios, for a while my handle was "Clockwork Orange" after the film, but fitting for an orange car.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:43 am
I've not heard of acid westerns.

Westerns probably stopped with me with John Wayne although I did like the Lone Ranger (Clayton Moore version).

And Blazing Saddles.
I was never much on Wayne either, and the Spaghettis were all the same, but a younger me did like the Lone Ranger. A favorite movie was Cochise. (Did ya know that he was a big tall white dude who looked like the Rifleman?)

The best Western ever made is Once Upon a Time In the West. Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Jack Elam are so evil that you'll start liking Charles Bronson. Oh, and there's Claudia Cardinale too.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0064116/