Basketball

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Basketball

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:02 am
So I'm not a cheater, and I don't condone cheating, but if all Ime Udoka really did was have a consensual affair with a staffer, the one-year (and maybe forever) suspension seems a bit harsh. Maybe it wasn't totally consensual, although nobody so far has claimed it wasn't. Maybe there were other factors of favouritism or discrimination. Maybe he embezzled money to pay her with, I don't know. But if there's more to the story they need to say so.

Yeah, yeah, I know - "an imbalance of organizational power prevents any true consensual relationship." That argument has some merit as a legal/technical construct, but IRL it's bullshit. A person can absolutely voluntarily and willfully enter into a relationship with risks - knowing the risks and for whatever reason choosing to accept them. May not be wise to put that much trust in someone with organizational power over you, but lots of people do - many at their own initiation. Also not wise to put that much trust in someone who may later claim coercion or harassment when things turn south, but lots of people do.

Maybe I've just worked for sleazy organizations, but everywhere I've worked, somebody has had affairs. Again, I'm not saying it's right, just that it's common and most truly consensual affairs don't result in firing/suspension, or harassment charges. Celtics have only given part of the story - what's the rest?
What percentage of relationships meet at work?
A new survey from SHRM, the Society for Human Resource Management, found that 50 percent of workers have had a crush on a colleague, and more than one-third (34 percent) of U.S. workers have been involved in or are currently involved in a workplace romance—up 7 percentage points from last year.Feb 11, 2021
I see what you're saying, but "a crush on a colleague ... workplace romance" is different from an affair with an underling. Sure, most may be fully consensual, but the opportunity for favoritism and/or coercion is real and it's difficult to ascertain whether either is happening from the outside.

Plus, it can disrupt the workplace in general. I worked in a place where a volunteer was promoted to an employee at the same time that she and the boss started an affair. She was a good volunteer and certainly may have been promoted regardless, but I lost respect for both of them.

It's even worse if cheating is involved, creating an ugly bridge between workplace and home life. At one ER a couple of nurses, equal actors, were even caught having sex at work, ewww. AFAIK this was not reported to the boss. He was unattached, but she was married. Threats were made by the husband and the entire department suffered extra security measures until the husband was arrested and the wife moved out. Ick. I don't think that either was fired, but it wasn't long before both moved on to other jobs.

Then, breakups can be really messy, including firing, demotion, involuntary transfer and employee retaliation.

IMO it's better to avoid even the appearance of impropriety and avoid these situations. If urges just can't be resisted, it's better if one participant or the other removes themselves from a direct supervisor/supervised relationship.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:22 pm

IMO it's better to avoid even the appearance of impropriety and avoid these situations. If urges just can't be resisted, it's better if one participant or the other removes themselves from a direct supervisor/supervised relationship.
Agreed. The potential for a mess is certainly there. But I still want to see some evidence of significant organizational mess that is or would be greater than what the Celtics created for themselves with the handling of this and a year-long suspension.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:26 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:22 pm

Agreed. The potential for a mess is certainly there. But I still want to see some evidence of significant organizational mess that is or would be greater than what the Celtics created for themselves with the handling of this and a year-long suspension.
I haven't followed the scandal a bit, so I'm just talking out of my ass here. However, given that some sort of broad organizational mess is not a completely unexpected consequence of an unequal illicit affair - think Bill and Monica - that's another reason for keeping the pants zipped in the first place. Many people can be struck by the shrapnel.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Oh, there's no shortage of reasons not to have workplace affairs or affairs in general, but they happen. And sometimes an apparent "inappropriate" workplace relationship works out, such as Bill and Melinda Gates, at least for 20 years.

My sole point is the same as I tossed out with Sarver - if minor-ish violations are punished as much as egregious ones, then there's no reason not to be egregious. Like back when they had the death penalty for rape, the same as murder. Somebody finally realized that dead witnesses don't talk.

O Really
Admiral

Re: College football
Post by O Really » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 am
Vrede too wrote: ↑Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:05 am
UNC is the Rodney Dangerfield of the FBS, perhaps deservedly so.
:lol:
Totally deservedly so.
Carolina has had some good teams and many "decent" seasons, but has never been a powerhouse.

But the rankers make up for it when basketball season comes along and vote for the 'Heels no matter who's playing.
And as it turns out...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-caroli ... 22730.html

"North Carolina No. 1 in preseason AP Top 25 men's basketball"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:00 pm
And as it turns out...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/north-caroli ... 22730.html

"North Carolina No. 1 in preseason AP Top 25 men's basketball"
Full poll

1. North Carolina :thumbup:
2. Gonzaga
3. Houston
4. Kentucky :puke-left:
5. Kansas
5. Baylor :puke-left:
7. Duke :thumbup:
8. UCLA :clap:
9. Creighton
10. Arkansas :thumbdown:

15. Auburn :thumbup:

19. San Diego State :clap:
20. Alabama :puke-left:
21. Oregon :thumbup:

(28) Miami (FL)

Maryland - no votes :angry-banghead:
Washington - no votes :(
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Go Basketball

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Good start in exhibition

https://al.com/auburnbasketball/2022/11 ... lysis.html

I has to Google div 2 uah. The real games start for us on Monday. George Mason on their court.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Go Basketball

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:38 am
Good start in exhibition

https://al.com/auburnbasketball/2022/11 ... lysis.html

I has to Google div 2 uah. The real games start for us on Monday. George Mason on their court.
Or, the real games start for Auburn on Sun, Nov 27 @Auburn vs (30) Saint Louis, or Sat, Jan 7 @Auburn vs (10) Arkansas.

George Mason is at Neville Arena, as are all of Auburn's games until Sun, Dec 18 @(38 tie) USC.
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/au ... eType=list

Preseason AP Top 25

1. North Carolina :clap:

7. Duke :thumbup:
8. UCLA :thumbup:

15. Auburn

19. San Diego State

21. Oregon

(28) Miami (FL)

0 votes: Loyola-Chicago, MD :( , Northwestern (NW), WA
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Oops
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

If you didn't know the coach's name, this one would fit into "Dumb Headlines"

"Kansas suspends Self for 4 games in ongoing NCAA infractions case"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:25 am

If you didn't know Bill Self's name you probably wouldn't be reading a basketball article, or maybe the author worded his headline to attract the funny headline crowd as well as the basketball crowd.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:30 pm
O Really wrote:

If you didn't know Bill Self's name you probably wouldn't be reading a basketball article, or maybe the author worded his headline to attract the funny headline crowd as well as the basketball crowd.
:lol: You're right - I didn't read the article, but was attracted by the headline. Speaking of headlines, they used to be a brief summary of the article and the skill involved was to be as clear and concise as possible within a limited word-count. Now they're almost all written as click-bait, often misleading and even more often just refusing to disclose the articles' information. Instead of "Auburn beats LSU", it's "Auburn does this" or even worse, "Fans Reaction When Auburn Does This"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:43 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

:lol: You're right - I didn't read the article, but was attracted by the headline....
It's an AP article, so that headline appears everywhere.

Some sportswriters think the punishment is unfair. For example:
Self Abuse in Kansas
:o
Others report on fan anger with the coach over his Self-professed ignorance of the corruption, and the slap-on-the-wrist "punishment", like:
Self Loathing

I was going to mock #5 Kansas' early season non-conference schedule and the first 4 games do include Nebraska Omaha, N. Dak. St. and Southern Utah, but there's also Tue, Nov 15 @(7) Duke. He'll be sorry to miss that one.
... Self and Townsend will rejoin the team to face (unranked) North Carolina State at the Battle 4 Atlantis in the Bahamas on Nov. 23....
I guess a Self imposed Bahamas ban would have been too severe. :roll:

AP Twitter
So instead of firing a coach that has been found to be corrupt, they slap him on the wrist and continue to pay him a huge salary? Sounds like the school itself is corrupt.
Why bother since you can pay the recruits legally now anyway...

4 games...

Wow.
The article makes that point:
... Making the Kansas case more complex, though, is the rapidly shifting landscape of college sports. Some of the alleged infractions from the 2017 investigation would no longer be against the rules following name, image and likeness legislation, which has allowed athletes in all sports to begin making money from endorsements and other off-the-field business arrangements....
I haven't followed the case closely, but would guess that the scandal had an impact on the move to NIL. If you can't beat them . . .
I always knew Kansas was corrupt somehow. Why would any decent player want to go to college in Kansas? Why not any of the ACC schools in beautiful cities? Why play in Kansas? I just knew they were doing something illegal. Sorry to all those who are stuck living in Kansas.
:D

Related news:
Report: Louisville avoids postseason ban in NCAA ruling, Rick Pitino, Chris Mack receive no punishment

:roll:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:11 pm
Why would any decent player want to go to college in Kansas? Why not any of the ACC schools in beautiful cities? Why play in Kansas? I just knew they were doing something illegal. Sorry to all those who are stuck living in Kansas.
[/quote]

Well, it might be that 7 of the 17 on the roster are from Texas, one from Alabama, one from Oklahoma...
For some people, Kansas would be an upgrade.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:05 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:11 pm
Why would any decent player want to go to college in Kansas? Why not any of the ACC schools in beautiful cities? Why play in Kansas? I just knew they were doing something illegal. Sorry to all those who are stuck living in Kansas.
Well, it might be that 7 of the 17 on the roster are from Texas, one from Alabama, one from Oklahoma...
For some people, Kansas would be an upgrade.
:lol: Also:
Rancho Mirage and San Diego, CA :P
Orlando, FL
Bolingbrook, IL :P
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... /_/id/2305
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Rancho Mirage is over by Palm Springs in the middle of the effin' desert. They wouldn't notice much difference in Kansas. No excuse for the San Diego guy. Maybe not smart enough to get into Duke?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:43 pm
Rancho Mirage is over by Palm Springs in the middle of the effin' desert. They wouldn't notice much difference in Kansas. No excuse for the San Diego guy. Maybe not smart enough to get into Duke?
Few people are, but is that a real consideration for athletes? Funny you mention it, 2 of the Kansas players are from Durham, NC. :headscratch:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:12 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:43 pm
Few people are, but is that a real consideration for athletes? Funny you mention it, 2 of the Kansas players are from Durham, NC. :headscratch:
I'm sure in some, maybe most, big-time basketball schools the ability to read may be optional. But I thought Duke players did have higher requirements. Maybe I'm mistaken.

True story: I had a friend who had the job of tutoring NC State Valvano's players, including those on the '83 champion team. She had many stories documenting the fact that most of those guys were dumber than a box of hammers on anything but basketball. Including the one who said "Nothing's too good for me because I'm too good for nothing."

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:24 pm

True story: I had a friend who had the job of tutoring NC State Valvano's players, including those on the '83 champion team. She had many stories documenting the fact that most of those guys were dumber than a box of hammers on anything but basketball. Including the one who said "Nothing's too good for me because I'm too good for nothing."
:headscratch:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:43 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:

:lol: You're right - I didn't read the article, but was attracted by the headline. Speaking of headlines, they used to be a brief summary of the article and the skill involved was to be as clear and concise as possible within a limited word-count. Now they're almost all written as click-bait, often misleading and even more often just refusing to disclose the articles' information. Instead of "Auburn beats LSU", it's "Auburn does this" or even worse, "Fans Reaction When Auburn Does This"
And then there's real life where Auburn gets harsher penalties for lesser infractions against 1 assistant coach in the same investigation and the slew of headlines inferring that Coach Pearl is involved.