The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 am
I've had my Tesla 3 years now. Possibly I'm some off the chart exception, but not according to what I read on a couple of Tesla forums.
I keep reading about extensive repairs and evil Musk....
I'm glad you're doing good. Idk a thing about Tesla maintenance, but this sounds serious:

Ralph Nader Begs NHTSA to Pull Tesla's "Full Self-Driving" Software
"No one is above the laws of manslaughter," said Nader, impugning the developing technology.

Yikes, but Nader is 88! Maybe he just doesn't like this "newfangled" tech ;) . Then, there's the issue with dousing fires, but that applies to all vehicles with lithium-ion batteries and I don't know how frequent it is.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:49 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I've had my Tesla 3 years now. Possibly I'm some off the chart exception, but not according to what I read on a couple of Tesla forums.
I'm glad you're doing good. Idk a thing about Tesla maintenance, but this sounds serious:

"No one is above the laws of manslaughter," said Nader, impugning the developing technology.

Yikes, but Nader is 88! Maybe he just doesn't like this "newfangled" tech ;) . Then, there's the issue with dousing fires, but that applies to all vehicles with lithium-ion batteries and I don't know how frequent it is.
Nader was badly wrong (or at least criminally late in publishing) about the Corvair, he wasn't a good politician, although he's a talented gadfly.
Pass the salt.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:16 am
Nader was badly wrong (or at least criminally late in publishing) about the Corvair, he wasn't a good politician, although he's a talented gadfly.
Pass the salt.
:roll: A 60 year old criticism? You're really still angry about Gore, aren't you? :P

MotorTrend says:
Many automotive enthusiasts know consumer advocate Ralph Nader as the man who took down the Chevrolet Corvair with his famous book Unsafe at Any Speed. In the book, Nader highlighted dangerous shortcomings of several domestic vehicles including the Corvair, which he claimed had a tendency to spin out and roll over due to its rear-engine layout and suspension design.

Nader's book and other advocacy made major waves and is a major contributor to changing the landscape of standard safety equipment in consumer vehicles today. Things like seatbelts and anti-lock brakes are standard equipment now in part because of his efforts....
Besides, he's not alone in raising alarms about the self-driving tech.
... The NHTSA has sparred with Tesla before over the FSD beta software and has asked it to recall updates to the software but has stopped short of forcing the EV maker to remove the software completely. Considering the NHTSA is already investigating FSD and Autopilot, it is unlikely that it will take any extra action due to Nader's statement but it certainly is not a great look for Tesla.

The automaker is also currently dealing with a complaint from the California DMV citing false advertising by positioning Tesla's with FSD as completely autonomous vehicles despite the fact that Tesla's equipped with Autopilot and FSD only have "level 2" autonomy.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:24 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:16 am
Pass the salt.
:roll: A 60 year old criticism? You're really still angry about Gore, aren't you? :P

MotorTrend says:
Many automotive enthusiasts know consumer advocate Ralph Nader as the man who took down the Chevrolet Corvair with his famous book Unsafe at Any Speed. In the book, Nader highlighted dangerous shortcomings of several domestic vehicles including the Corvair, which he claimed had a tendency to spin out and roll over due to its rear-engine layout and suspension design.

Nader's book and other advocacy made major waves and is a major contributor to changing the landscape of standard safety equipment in consumer vehicles today. Things like seatbelts and anti-lock brakes are standard equipment now in part because of his efforts....
Whether Nader's quixotic chase of political fame cost Gore the election is subject to legit dispute, but his Corvair hatchet job is clear. Without regard to the accuracy of his facts, by the time he published, Corvair was way different and had been for about three years or so. Nader tested the 1960 version:

but by '62 the suspension had been reworked. By 1965 when his book was published, it wasn't even the same car. But no mention of that in the book.

This article describes a test of the 1960 version as well as discussion of the Corvair, including the possibility that Mustang had more to do with killing the Corvair than Nader, but that doesn't mean he didn't try.

https://www.hagerty.com/media/videos/wi ... e%20street.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Supposedly this car was rather unstable at high speed due to the rear engine.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:51 am
Whether Nader's quixotic chase of political fame cost Gore the election is subject to legit dispute, but his Corvair hatchet job is clear....
Even if he got the Corvair wrong, Nader otherwise has saved hundreds of thousands of lives or more with his auto safety and other consumer campaigns. That's good enough for me to take his Tesla criticism seriously, though leaving some room for him being wrong. The other folks that have been sounding alarms make Nader more believable on this issue.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:57 am
The Porsche, you mean?

O Really
Admiral

Nader's book is also blamed for temporarily killing off the muscle cars like this one...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:05 pm
Nader's book is also blamed for temporarily killing off the muscle cars like this one...
Must have been very temporary. They were pretty popular in my crowd in the early '70s, especially Goats.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Must have been very temporary. They were pretty popular in my crowd in the early '70s, especially Goats.
Sure but...
The popularity of muscle cars declined through the early 1970s, due to factors including the Clean Air Act, the fuel crisis and increasing insurance costs.[72] The 1973 oil crisis resulted in rationing of fuel and higher prices. Muscle cars quickly became unaffordable and impractical for many people.[73] In addition, the automobile insurance industry levied surcharges on all high-powered models.

Before the Clean Air Act of 1970, a majority of muscle cars came optioned with high-compression engines (some engines were as high as 11:1), which required high-octane fuel. Before the oil embargo, 100-octane fuel was common. However, following the passage of the Clean Air Act of 1970, octane ratings were lowered to 91 (due in part to the removal of lead). Manufacturers reduced the compression ratio of engines, resulting in reduced performance. Simultaneously, efforts to combat air pollution focused Detroit's attention on emissions control rather than increased power outputs.
Anyway, "they got betta"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
I keep reading about extensive repairs and evil Musk.

I agree, Elon is a jerk, but is anyone aware of any nice guy car company CEOs?

3 trips to the mechanic in 3 years. A 4th tomorrow but the mechanic is coming here.
Do gas vehicle owners go to their mechanics for:
Oil changes?
Transmission fluid changes?
Differential fluid changes?
Brake pad replacement?
Air filter replacement?
Spark plug replacement?
Tune-ups?
Anti-freeze replacement?
Hose replacement?

I don't have these systems - except brake pads and mine last around a million miles because the motor stops the car more than fast enough.

Do they often have to arrange for their own transportation or sit in a waiting room for hours?

I don't. When I drop my car they give me an Uber pass to go home, shopping, whatever until my car is ready, or they cone to your home or business to make repairs.

We've dropped off there 3 times and they're coming here on Friday. Not bad for 3 years.

While I was hanging at home waiting for the Tesla repairman to come to me I got a text saying that he was finished.

And sure a shit he had come, made the repair and left. There was a summary on the app.

Thanks Tesla
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

We bought that, but don't use it other than the excellent cruise control.
Dousing fires applies to gas, coal, wood and diesel, propane, hydrogen ...
Have you ever seen a diesel engine "diesel". It's a scary site.
Or those pintos where a 5 mph bump at the rear could not only start a fire but warp the frame and trap the passengers inside the burning car.

Fuel burns.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:13 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:51 am
Whether Nader's quixotic chase of political fame cost Gore the election is subject to legit dispute, but his Corvair hatchet job is clear....
Even if he got the Corvair wrong, Nader otherwise has saved hundreds of thousands of lives or more with his auto safety and other consumer campaigns. That's good enough for me to take his Tesla criticism seriously, though leaving some room for him being wrong. The other folks that have been sounding alarms make Nader more believable on this issue.

We were first behind a corvair wreck where the motor went through the car and ended up about 50 feet further along than the various body parts strewn between car and motor.

I was 15, my younger sisters kept saying, it's gross - for the 3 or 4 hours we were stuck there.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:14 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
The Porsche, you mean?
The Porsche mid-engine was like driving a spinning top on any wet road. Scary car.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:03 pm
Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Sure but...
The popularity of muscle cars declined through the early 1970s, due to factors including the Clean Air Act, the fuel crisis and increasing insurance costs.[72] The 1973 oil crisis resulted in rationing of fuel and higher prices. Muscle cars quickly became unaffordable and impractical for many people.[73] In addition, the automobile insurance industry levied surcharges on all high-powered models...
I do remember that timing, but wouldn't have been able to cite the reasons other than the oil embargo. It was linking it to a 1965 book that didn't feel right to me, but -0-? .
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 pm
Vrede too wrote:
... Then, there's the issue with dousing fires, but that applies to all vehicles with lithium-ion batteries and I don't know how frequent it is.
... Dousing fires applies to gas, coal, wood and diesel, propane, hydrogen ...
Have you ever seen a diesel engine "diesel". It's a scary site.
Or those pintos where a 5 mph bump at the rear could not only start a fire but warp the frame and trap the passengers inside the burning car.

Fuel burns.
Sure, and it can be awful. As I understand it the issue with the lithium-ion batteries is getting them to stop burning. Idk if there have been many or any injuries or deaths because of this.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:21 pm

While I was hanging at home waiting for the Tesla repairman to come to me I got a text saying that he was finished.

And sure a shit he had come, made the repair and left. There was a summary on the app.

Thanks Tesla
Good service. That means a lot, particularly from somebody who lives in basically a truck.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:14 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
The Porsche, you mean?
:lol: No. I've always dreamed of having a 911. The Corvair was too long and too narrow. But I really liked the utility truck version of it. The Porsche is just right.
Center of gravity and wheelbase perfection.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:
Speaking of Goats, I may have told this story before, ignore it if I have, but I had a frat brother whose father, Pete Estes, was president of Chevrolet at the time, having been promoted from president of Pontiac. Pete was largely responsible for development of the GTO, as well as the Camaro. Anyway, Bill (my bro) who ostensibly could have driven anything GM made, drove this modest generic-looking four-door Pontiac Tempest:

But the motor, suspension, gearing were all hopped up GTO-go.

Interesting article here about Pete, along with Bill. If it weren't for Pete, neoplacebo would be driving a Taurus.

https://carmelmonthlymagazine.com/pete-estes/

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I thought John DeLorean was the one who came out with the GTO