The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The car thread ... Be scared, be very scared of batteries

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://insideevs.com/news/608045/axa-i ... tery-fire/

"Earlier this week, we told you about AXA Insurance company's Tesla crash test. Essentially, the company crashed an older Tesla Model S, which flipped over and burst into flames. The point was to show that EV batteries could catch fire if the undercarriage of the car gets scraped. Now, AXA has issued a lengthy written apology"

"Moreover, the car didn't actually have a battery pack in it at all.

AXA removed the Model S' battery pack for safety and replaced it with pyrotechnics. Of course, the car couldn't operate without the batteries, so the insurance company had to pull it up over a ramp and flip it, simulating a crash. The pyrotechnics made the car instantly burst into flames on its underside."
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: The car thread ... Be scared, be very scared of batteries

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:55 pm
https://insideevs.com/news/608045/axa-i ... tery-fire/

"Earlier this week, we told you about AXA Insurance company's Tesla crash test. Essentially, the company crashed an older Tesla Model S, which flipped over and burst into flames. The point was to show that EV batteries could catch fire if the undercarriage of the car gets scraped. Now, AXA has issued a lengthy written apology"

"Moreover, the car didn't actually have a battery pack in it at all.

AXA removed the Model S' battery pack for safety and replaced it with pyrotechnics. Of course, the car couldn't operate without the batteries, so the insurance company had to pull it up over a ramp and flip it, simulating a crash. The pyrotechnics made the car instantly burst into flames on its underside."
What was the purpose?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The car thread ...

No idea. Possibly to justify higher rates. idk
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Or to trash Tesla for some reason. I suppose if they really knew scientifically that the batteries would catch on fire during a rollover, it seems unlikely that it would happen every time. Even Pintos didn't blow up every time (or actually even most times) they were hit. So if you wanted to demonstrate a known but occasional phenomenon you might need to simulate it instead of wrecking 10 Teslas to get one of them to explode properly. But I'd guess that the wreck fires are more a theory than a proven event.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Semi-Truck Carrying Sex Toys Spills Out Onto Oklahoma Highway

"Thankfully, the accident resulted in no injuries," not counting the moral injuries suffered by scandalized Oklahomans.

Too many dicks on the roads these days. :o
O No..... The semi-truck spilled its load
What about the poor fellow that the semi rear-ended?
This article was very stimulating.........
"A truck lost its load..."?🤣🤣🤣🤣 Maybe it should have been thinking about baseball...
A real dildo of a driver!
Looks like someone will have to put the “O” in Oklahoma the old-fashioned way for awhile.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I probably don't know enough about it to even be dangerous, but I don't understand how electrics can be viable over the long run if battery replacement cost is so high after only 7 years or so. Sure back in the 50's/60's a 7-year old car might be pretty well used up, and 100K miles was pushing it. It wasn't just the motor, but also rust, paint fading/peeling, interior fabrics rotting, clutches gone, shocks shot, trannies trashed. Any car bought certainly in the last 10 years at least goes 100K before needing new spark plugs. For example, a 2015 Honda Accord will likely go 250-300K miles but if you do blow the engine you can get it replaced for likely $5k or so.

Compare that to the reported $20K or more to replace a battery after 7ish years. How is the used market going to work? Who is going to buy a 5-year old car knowing they might need to spend more than it's value on a battery in two years? Maybe they'll get the price down. Or maybe they'll come up with some plan that builds the cost of battery replacement into ongoing maintenance costs or maybe I don't have a clue about how electrics work. But it looks like no matter how good they may be today, there's a major reckoning coming tomorrow.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:09 am
I probably don't know enough about it to even be dangerous, but I don't understand how electrics can be viable over the long run if battery replacement cost is so high after only 7 years or so. Sure back in the 50's/60's a 7-year old car might be pretty well used up, and 100K miles was pushing it. It wasn't just the motor, but also rust, paint fading/peeling, interior fabrics rotting, clutches gone, shocks shot, trannies trashed. Any car bought certainly in the last 10 years at least goes 100K before needing new spark plugs. For example, a 2015 Honda Accord will likely go 250-300K miles but if you do blow the engine you can get it replaced for likely $5k or so.

Compare that to the reported $20K or more to replace a battery after 7ish years. How is the used market going to work? Who is going to buy a 5-year old car knowing they might need to spend more than it's value on a battery in two years? Maybe they'll get the price down. Or maybe they'll come up with some plan that builds the cost of battery replacement into ongoing maintenance costs or maybe I don't have a clue about how electrics work. But it looks like no matter how good they may be today, there's a major reckoning coming tomorrow.
Most sources that I've seen agree with Mush that battery life is 300,000 to 500,000 miles and put cost at double Musk's $3,000 price.

My last car was an 05 Toyota pickup. I expect my 03 won't even have to do that before they take the keys away.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - I guess I've been seeing too many stories from the "parade of horribles."
Here's more:
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shopping-g ... with%20EVs.

O Really
Admiral

So in addition to the usual rods, customs, and low-riders cruising on the weekend, this weekend we've got a convention of people who own the 73-78 GMC motor homes - yep, the original "Urban Assault Vehicle" from the film. It's an interesting vehicle in a lot of ways, not the least of which that of the 12K originally built, more than 7K of them are actively on the road, with probably a lot more in garages, barns, and waiting for restoration. And most amazing, they're actually pretty cheap to buy - even those in good roadworthy shape. There are 20 or so different clubs of GMC owners who, in addition to their own travels go to various rallies and hang out together. Here's more:
https://www.lenconnect.com/story/lifest ... 889850002/

Also, Carlsbad was full of people dressed up like Alice in Wonderland characters for a mystery game event that looks like fun.
https://www.cluedupp.com/products/alice ... %2C%202022.

And there's another game going on - a scavenger hunt driven by a phone app:
https://allevents.in/carlsbad/its-a-sca ... 9172704227

And tonight is the Oceanside Harbor boat parade:
https://visitoceanside.org/blog/oceansi ... of-lights/

Never nothing to do.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:06 pm

Never nothing to do.
Is it a trump boat parade?

How many will sink?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:40 pm
O Really wrote:

Never nothing to do.
Is it a trump boat parade?

How many will sink?
A Trump entry would not be very popular around here and would probably be sunk either by the other boats or by dead stinking fish flung from the shore at it. :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

Also, Carlsbad was full of people dressed up like Alice in Wonderland characters for a mystery game event that looks like fun.
https://www.cluedupp.com/products/alice-carlsbad/

Be honest, what characters are you and are the after parties as wild as I imagine?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:11 pm
O Really wrote:

https://www.cluedupp.com/products/alice-carlsbad/

Be honest, what characters are you and are the after parties as wild as I imagine?
Caterpillar and Queen of Hearts, of course.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:30 pm
Caterpillar and Queen of Hearts, of course.

:D Lady O is hot! Cool shades, but you're looking a little green.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

On the car topic, I bought gas for $3.83 today. First time under $4 in more than a year.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Shocking photos show the aftermath of a Connecticut car impaled by a guardrail

... The guardrail “traveled through the passenger compartment, between both front seats and then exited the rear, extending approximately 20 ft beyond it,” according to the Facebook post.

The car’s occupant miraculously suffered only minor injuries, Manchester Fire Rescue EMS said. The occupant was transported to a hospital by fire department paramedics.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:32 pm
Shocking photos show the aftermath of a Connecticut car impaled by a guardrail

... The guardrail “traveled through the passenger compartment, between both front seats and then exited the rear, extending approximately 20 ft beyond it,” according to the Facebook post.

The car’s occupant miraculously suffered only minor injuries, Manchester Fire Rescue EMS said. The occupant was transported to a hospital by fire department paramedics.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
Guardrails can't do that

If they are installed properly. Lawsuit coming soon.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I thought these things are designed to collapse......like a Republican in the face of facts.

O Really
Admiral

This is cool:
New Research Shows the First 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Wasn't Actually Destroyed

VIN #001

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/first- ... iscovered/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.